Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Last Day of May

I didn't list any goals for this month, but I feel that I accomplished a lot. Despite a very rainy  month, and a whole week devoted to preparing for the 80th birthday party, I got a lot of yard work done. I also got my containers planted. I am ahead of the game with birthday cards and I have a total of four dishcloths knitted up. The van has a set of four brand new summer tires, the brake fluid leak is fixed and the emissions leak in the gas cap has been looked after. I delivered the gas-powered lawnmower to the repairman to have it fixed and brought it home again. I replaced my missing van ownership papers. I arranged to have the Jeep moved out of the back yard.  I drove myself to Bradford to visit with my daughter, SIL and two grandchildren.

 Both Monday and Tuesday I found a couple of breaks in the weather to get both the front and back lawns mowed. They are not trimmed around the edges, but all those tall dandelions and weeds are cut down short. I also found another 2-3 hours this afternoon to weed some more garden. Unfortunately, the areas I weeded were some that I have done once already this Spring. I was able to put down some mulch on one of the gardens. I have some bags of chipped cedar by the veggie garden which I plan on using in some of the flower beds, but the mulch I spread today were bags of shredded paper that I have saved for the perimeter garden. I have used this before in this flower bed and it seems to work just fine. It is under the lilac trees and gets quite a bit of shade. I also planted some coleus plants in there.
When I first got up this morning, it looked for a while like we might get some more rain today. Instead of going outside to work, I headed into WalMart to pick up the Pedigree dog food. Twenty Kg for just under $32 is the best deal I have found. And while I was there, I picked up a few items from my list.
   Non-food items including the dog food, cost $58.12 (with tax). This will come out of my June household budget.  Although vinegar and salt are considered food items, I will be using them to create my weed killer. A couple of months ago I bought some Liquid Plumber to clear an upstairs drain. Lately though, it has become sluggish again.  So I bought the Drano for that job. I also bought another garden trowel and a small cultivator because I have broken two of them recently. I guess I must be hard on my tools.    

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Food items cost me only $10.27  When I got home I made myself a fried egg and cheese sandwich. Dinner tonight will be leftover mince and gravy over mashed potatoes from last night.
I have not yet added up my total household expenditures for May, but I know I went over. I will try to have those figures for next time.

Here are some photos in my garden this week.
Allium in the foreground and white phlox behind. It may be pretty but it is a weed I need to pull.

Snow- in- Summer with purple phlox to the right of the photo, Again...it's a weed.

Blue flax in the foreground. My forget me nots are still in bloom

Coral Bells




3 comments:

  1. I'm very envious of all your gorgeous flowers! And I'd take Phlox as a weed any day of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If not for the wild Phlox in my back yard, I don't have any other flowers to look at. The lupines are starting to bloom however, so I may get to pull the Phlox out of the flower beds before it goes to seed. It is very pretty, but when it goes to seed it takes over everything. There are some "wild" areas in the back yard that I allow it to proliferate.

    ReplyDelete