Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I Have Done It Again

Last week I sent a titled post but no blog posting. I don't know what I did wrong, but indeed there was no blog posting because it was just a busy, busy week. LOL. I stayed indoors all week to work on the birthday decorations that I planned for a friend's 80th birthday party.
I was going to write a Daybook Monday last week, but after typing in the title, I decided I better  send a request to the photo shop to have some digital images printed out for the next day, and then I just kept going. The next day, I changed the title to Daybook Tuesday, but then got a notification that the prints were ready for pickup, so I headed into town. I headed to Staples after that to enlarge my prints into photocopies to crop for the acrylic frames that I had yet to buy. I ordered the poster for people to sign instead of a guest book. I scouted out the Bulk Barn for a list of vintage candies that I found on-line. Unfortunately, I did not find the boxes of Cracker Jack, Pink Elephant Candied popcorn or Bazooka bubble gum that they used to sell just a short while ago, but I did find a lot of them from the list. I went to Michael's for the small paper bags for people to fill with the candy, and Dollar Tree for the candy scoops, table top frames, and other purchases on my list. I was in town for hours doing my shopping.

On Wednesday, I went back to Bulk Barn to actually buy the candies I had decided on, and to get the 10% discount for Seniors Day. The actual purchase was not long at all. Every minute I was at home, I was cropping pictures and printed captions to put inside the frames. I had also picked up some 8"x10" acrylic frames to fill with  larger photographs  that I  placed on the bar and the Reception table. I organized the historical events of 1937 into a point form PDF file so that they could be printed out later onto cardstock and put into the back of the frames. I did the same with a cost-of-living page.

I believe it was Thursday, when I changed the title of my blog posting to "Busy, busy Week". I was feeling almost overwhelmed by the amount of work that still needed to be done, so I "closed out" the blog once again and called a friend to ask if she was able to give me a hand with the "Penny Candy" bar. I had to determine which of the many sealer jars I own was going to hold which candy for the amount I bought. She met me at Staples with more current photos that I needed. I enlarged those as well, and then she followed me to my house. She stayed all day to help me. What a blessing. We fit all the varieties of candy into the appropriately sized container, with candy scoops or tongs, and packed it up into boxes. I sent her home with another poster board and  about 20 4" stars which I had labelled with names of famous people born in 1937. Her "homework" was to fit all the stars on the board around the title "Other stars born in 1937". I still had lots of homework myself to finish up over Friday and Saturday. It was so very well organized, that we were able to get all the decorations up and ready in less than the hour we had been given for the task. I had time to sign the poster board and write out a memory on a slip of paper to put in the Memory Jar to get the ball rolling.  My "job" then was to make sure people wrote out a memory, signed the poster board and took home lots of candy for the grand kids from the candy bar.  The party was on Sunday afternoon and was a huge success. I don't have any actual photos yet to show you, but hopefully soon. I was home Sunday night around 7 and had phone messages waiting for me. The most pressing news was from my sister. Mom had fallen at the Home on Saturday and broke her hip. They were still at the hospital on Sunday night awaiting surgery. So yesterday I did nothing at all except to rest and wait for the phone call.
This morning it looks like I have posted another "blank" post, but if you click on the title, it will take you to my updated blog page. Otherwise, go through this link. http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2017/05/daybook-tuesday-may-3017.html

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the pictures of all your efforts. It sounded like an awful lot of work but you enjoyed making all of those (did you come up with the ideas as well?) and the results sounded wonderful from your description. I'm sure your friend loved every minute of the party!

    I did see your empty title post last week but since the title said it all, I didn't worry one bit. I think it's the ultimate "microblogging"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "micoblogging" for sure. Ha. I got emails and phone calls telling me that I must be "busy, busy" as I didn't have time to explain why in the post. Yes it was a lot of work and yes it was all self-imposed.It didn't need to be that elaborate, but in honesty it was fun to do. Like I said, all the work is done to put together the final product into a memory book. I will just wait to get some photos and the "written memories" back, and then I can add those as well.

      Delete