Saturday, May 6, 2017

First Week of May

The title of this post was going to be Goals for May, which I started a few days ago. I have since given up that post. I don't want to set any goals for this month, except maybe to end up at the end of the month with more good days than bad. I will be satisfied with that.
So I will just give you an update of my week.All the "to-do" items that I listed on Monday remain undone. After I wrote my Daybook I went down for a nap and slept all afternoon.

On Tuesday, I started my day by going to my bank to withdraw $100 and I went to Shopper's Drug Mart to buy a $50 gift card with half that money. I was entitled to a FREE 90 gm Brookside chocolate bar with the purchase of the gc. As well, I bought a case of 12 Diet Pepsi for $3.49 which made more sense than buying a bottle of pop. From there I drove to a friend's house to go on our drive. We drove to Westport to meet up with a third friend and then on to Perth. We visited some of the shops on the Main street downtown until the rain started back up again. We drove to a park and had a picnic lunch in the car. Afterward we drove to Kilborn's. We love to go there occasionally to have a look. They sell EVERYTHING....clothes, specialty foods, furniture and furnishings, kitchen appliances, giftware, etc. I was able to buy some Dutch rusks for a friend of mine. They are so difficult to find nowadays.


On Wednesday morning my friend arrived with her list of things she wanted to help me get accomplished. I gathered up the documents I needed to finalize Rick's estate.  I  discovered that I was missing the ownership paper for my own vehicle,so we needed to make another trip to Service Ontario to get that sorted ($32). But first, we took the gas-powered lawnmower over to the repairman in town. We checked out Value Village to see if they had a dresser to replace the one I gave up to my son. They didn't have anything suitable, so I didn't buy. We stopped at No-Frills on the way home to buy a turkey at $1/lb., 2 packages of Octoberfest sausage at $2 a pkg., and 2 packages of 4 hamburgers each at $2 a pkg. I also picked up 6 Oral B tooth brushes for only $1 a piece. (stocking stuffers) Total $19.65 When I got home I had time to clean out the Jeep Wagoneer that my husband was giving a friend for parts, and I phoned him to remind him it was available for him to pick up. When I was cleaning up under the seats and floor mats, I found a total of $14.11 in found money. Not bad for an hour's work. I also collected the waste baskets and took the garbage to the curb. I cleaned the downstairs sink and toilet. This was my MOST productive day of the week.

On Thursday morning I wrote a letter and enclosed documentation to close out one of my husband's accounts. I phoned in two prescription refills. I cleaned out one of my desk drawers and collected papers that needed to be shredded. It was overcast, but not raining, so I did a load of laundry and hung outside on the line. I phoned my bank to set up an appointment to discuss my finances the next morning. I had an appointment scheduled on the other side of Kingston for a breast examination at 2 PM. My hydro bill arrived today. It was only $124.23 which was way down from the month before. Yay! I was able to shred all of the purged documents I had gathered.

Since my appointment with the bank was for 10 AM, I went into Amerstview  a little bit earlier so I could pick up my prescriptions and a few things (milk and oatmeal) from Shopper's with my gift card. I deposited my found money into my savings account. After my appointment I came back home to do more number crunching.  I am considering cancelling my supplementary health insurance with my past employer, since I was able to opt into my husband's health insurance. It is far more expensive than mine but it  also looks after eye glasses and dental coverage and 100% drug coverage.  Mine cost $14.95. His costs $135. I'm not sure what to do. I am paying for both right now.

Today I have baked another batch of dog biscuits. I have washed one load of laundry, read more blogs and commented. I am getting ready to go to my son's apartment for dinner. It is another wet and soggy day outside. Enjoy your weekend, everyone.


5 comments:

  1. I think you are wise not to make many goals for this month, Susan. You need to give yourself time to adjust to all the changes in your life. Forgive me if I sound "preachy", but you've just gone through one of the most stressful periods in any person's life.

    Speaking from my own recent experience with dental expenses, I'd go with the insurance that covers dental! Even if it costs $120 more per month!

    Hope you enjoy dinner at your son's and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't apologize for sounding "preachy". I value everyone's input and advice right now. Of course I will make my own decision but I like to hear what others want to say. I am leaning towards keeping the more expensive but far-reaching insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also pick the more expensive insurance. Dental care is super expensive and you'll only need it more as you grow older. If you can afford the $120 per month, I would encourage you to pick that one. Also, 100% drug coverage would be awesome. You might not need it now, but you'll probably need it in the future. I don't know if drugs are as expensive in Canada as they are here, but again if you can afford it $1,440 per year sounds like a drop in a bucket compared to what you'd have to pay if you even just needed ONE root canal and ONE crown here in the USA.

    I didn't make any goals for May either so I'm definitely with you on that. I'm happy your hydro bill was cheaper this month and yay for finding $14.11 under the car's floor mats!

    What are Dutch rusks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good gravy! I wrote you a reply yesterday, and now it is not here. Anyways, Rusks are a dried bread, twice baked to get all the moisture out. They are usually served at breakfast like toast. They're crispy and yummy and taste great when you dunk them in your hot tea. You can eat them plain or with a spread on top.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok, it's like the rusks we give to babies to teethe on, then. The word "Dutch" threw me. I have no idea if it's hard to find them here now too or not.

      Delete