Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Daybook: Tuesday, May 30/17

I understand that twice now I have sent empty blog posts. I don't know what happened. They obviously posted after only writing out the title, and then nothing. My only guess is that I have forgotten how to post a blog because it has been so long since I have done one. Here is hoping that this one goes through properly. 

Outside my window.....it is very dark, overcast and wet. It poured rain yesterday and they are still calling for rain over the next few days. The front lawn has not been mowed in over a week and is desperately in need of a cut. The weeds are coming back into my front flower beds before I have finished the beds in the back yard.

I am thinking.....maintaining the yard is becoming too much for me, unless I give up all other aspects of my life.

I am thankful for.....my son and his GF are coming out Saturday to help me with yard work. I am also thankful for my mother surviving the surgery two nights ago on pinning her hip back together after a fall on Saturday. I am thankful for my sister for taking on the job of looking after mom in the hospital.

From the kitchen.....I made a half batch of dog biscuits yesterday morning (I only had one egg left in the fridge). I also made a big pot of chili con carne late yesterday which was dinner and provided two more freezer dinners for later.

I am wearing.....denim capris, a red T-shirt and bare feet. It is definitely summer when my socks come off.

I am creating.....maybe nothing more than a Get Well card for my mom this week. I have made my dad's Father's Day card already. I have 3 June birthdays, but I have cards already made. Last week every single day was occupied with decorations for a friend's 80th birthday. From Monday through Saturday I was involved in the collection, development, and enlargement of photos for tabletop frames and posters. I scoured the internet for 80th birthday captions and messages. I printed out birthdays of stars and famous people also born in 1937, historical events of 1937 and the cost of living, etc. I set up a Penny Candy bar which had nostalgic candy that was sold during the era....black balls, Good and Plenty, caramels, jelly beans, jujubes, Oh Henry bars, malted chocolate, etc, etc., I bit off a huge chunk...too big perhaps; so I called in a friend on Friday to help me out. Thank goodness she gave so much of her time, or it would never have got done. I never got a chance to work outside in the yard or get anything done inside except crafting. I am crafted out for the time being. The good thing is that I spent so much work on it, that it is just a matter of putting all of it into a memory book to give him as a keepsake.

I am going.....nowhere today. I don't need to go out for anything, so I won't. It is going to rain anyways.

I am hoping.....my mother's condition will improve. She is taking strong doses of morphine for the pain, but she doesn't remember why she is in hospital or why she has to lie still. Every time she wakes from a nap, she has to be told she has broken her hip and needs to stay in hospital, because she doesn't remember. She keeps trying to get out of bed and is fighting with my sister and the nurses. She refuses to eat.

I am hearing.....the sound of traffic on wet pavement.

Around the house.....the housework is getting away from me. I have to do laundry today. I am running out of clean underwear. I haven't even unpacked the boxes that I brought back from the party.

One of my favourite things....is the long recuperative nap I took yesterday afternoon after my company left.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include getting some of my own work done.


Here's the picture I am sharing.....I made 18 of these 4"x6"

table frames (two for each table and all of them completely different).  On the left hand side was a photo of the birthday boy, and on the right hand side was a caption. On the backs of these acrylic frames, I had a page of historical events from the year he was born, and on the other side were some examples of cost-of-living. We were not allowed to put anything on the walls, so we strung twine across all the windows where we hung different captioned posters with clothes pins. It turned out to be a very successful party.



4 comments:

  1. I forgot to say, in my comment on your other post, that I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's fall and her broken hip. It's definitely not good news :(

    I agree that taking care of the yard work might be too much. Are there any teens around the neighborhood who might enjoy making money and that you could pay to do the mowing?

    I think the reason why this post might not have posted properly is that it looks like you published it with a date of 5/25. It didn't show at all in my RSS feed so I'm glad you mentioned it in your other post. Go check your dashboard and see if this specific post has a posting date of 5/25 instead of 5/30. If you want to change it, open your post in "edit" mode and then in the right column, change the "Published on" date field to Automatic (click on the small clock icon to see the choices) and then click on "update" at the top. Your post will be republished and then the RSS feed should "catch" it so people who are subscribed to your blog can see it via their subscription.

    Have a great week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense though, as I was trying to write a post all week. I just kept going in and changing the title, but not finishing any of them.

      Apparently my mom had another bad day yesterday. She was convinced everyone in the hospital was out to kill her and that my sister was behind it all. But by last night, she was sounding "normal" and had accepted the fact she had broken her hip. I phoned and talked to her around 8 PM last night. I think she may have had some morphine still in her system earlier in the day. By the time I talked to her, she was only on Tylenol for the pain. Mt mother is 89 and has some dementia. It can not be easy for my sister to be solely responsible for her.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Susan, you were one busy lady! You did a lot for your friend's birthday! I am sure he appreciated it all, but that is a LOT of work!

    I am so sorry to hear about your mother's fall and broken hip and surgery. I hope she recovers well. I'm glad your sister is there to take care of things. My mother, too, fell and broke her hip when she was 80 and had to have hip replacement surgery.

    It sounds to me that you need to get someone to help with the garden. Maybe hire someone? Or pay your son to do it?

    Hope you have a restful week ahead with a little less to do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the main reasons why I am determined to stay here in the house is to figure out if it is at all possible to handle things on my own. Of course, it is quite possible; but at what cost? As soon as the rains stop again, I will get back at it. My son and his GF are coming out this Saturday to give me a hand with the yard work. Hopefully, we will get a lot accomplished. Once I have weeded the veggie garden and roto-tilled it, my friend will come out for the day and give me a hand planting it. Once the garden beds are mulched, it should be just a matter of maintaining it by weeding and mowing. I have so much to do this Spring because I could not look after it last season. But I agree. It is too much for one person. I will have to give it a lot of thought.

      Delete