Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Making Hay While the Sun Shines

Because we have been enjoying lovely sunny days both yesterday and today, I have been taking advantage of the opportunity to get outdoors to work. I mowed the front lawn yesterday and  moved some heavy branches into the back of the trailer so I could  cut the grass that I was unable to get to while they were piled beside the veggie garden. It had grown so long that the mower stalled out on me several times before the job got done. Yesterday I pulled the weeds from around my fish pond and today I cleared the couch grass and the lilac tree runners from part of a perimeter garden in the back yard.  If the weather holds out, it may take another two days to finish this particular job. I hauled away 3 huge wheel barrow loads each day to my compost pile. The job seems to get bigger and bigger each year. Could it be that I am getting older and I need to scale back a bit??

I came in to shower and then I flaked out on the couch and fell asleep. While I was sleeping, Rick's friend arrived to take away the Jeep on his flat bed trailer. It is no longer in the back of the yard. Yay!

I won't show you pictures yet of the back yard because it is still so messy and desperate for an overhaul. Rick was unable to do much with the yard and  I found it difficult to keep up. Perhaps tomorrow I will include before and after photos of the work I am trying to accomplish, but in the meantime, I will show you some springtime flowers that want to bloom despite the obstacles they face. Ha.
Forget-me-nots

Golden basket (Alyssum)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did a lot in the garden, Susan! I am enjoying the photographs, especially the one of the forget-me-nots. Such lovely little flowers! The alyssum looks lovely in the sunshine! I need to get out and do some weeding and watering, myself. Maybe tomorrow evening, after work.

    By the way, would it be possible for you to get someone to come in and do the mowing for you? Perhaps something to look into?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like mowing. I find it very relaxing, unlike dusting and vacuuming. Ha. I need a domestic, but that is not going to happen in my lifetime, so I will try to do both for as long as possible. I may have to turn some of my flower beds into lawn. It would be less work to mow than turn soil, pull weeds, plant flowers, water, fertilize and mulch.

      Delete
  2. I was tired just reading your post. Goodness, you must really love yard work :) But your garden will look splendid this summer. Are you going to plant more of your purple beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't really love yard work. But somebody has to do it. I am seeing lots of progress this week because I have been out every day, but I am so impatient. I want it all finished now. This is getting to be too much. I may have to turn to container gardening like you do.

      Delete