Wednesday, January 3, 2018

First Day With a New List of Goals

I was going to make this my day for working on my "part-time job" of producing cards. However, this morning after checking my emails and answering phone calls, and a very frustrating hour of trying to send documents as PDF files to my sister, I discovered THIS.
 I don't know if you can see this very well, but the pine tongue-in-grove planks on the back of the ceiling were coming down. I mean, it didn't look like anything was holding them  up. If I didn't take each plank down myself, one at a time, the whole thing would come down on top of someone. I have no idea why they came away from the ceiling. They were not glued up there, like they should have been, but there were several finishing nails in each of the planks. Rick and a friend of his put them up years ago.  I will certainly need someone's help to put the ceiling back up. I took this photo after I had removed about half the planks. Anyways, the day could only get better from here. I made a change of plans and decided that Thursday will be my day to work on cards.

Today is  Wednesday and I need to put out the garbage and the recycling tonight. I have one garbage tag left from 2017, so I don't need to buy any this week. 

The day started out snowy again, although it has since stopped. I knew I had to pick up a prescription  in Amerstview and I like to group errands together. I need to buy groceries some time this week but the grocery store in Amerstview is NOT a discount grocery store. So I asked the drug store  to deliver my prescription  to me. It is a free service that I have never used before but I decided it was well worth the $4 tip I gave the driver for my pills to be delivered to me. I have enough meals available that I don't need to go shopping for a couple of days.

I also wanted to go to the Dollar Store to pick up a new 2018 Agenda like the one I used last year. I decided against it after I printed out a free January calendar from an on-line site.

I made a pot of soup with some beef broth that was in my freezer and added some fried hamburger, dried onion flakes,chopped celery, diced carrot, tomato, burgundy beans and cauliflower (all from the freezer). This pot of soup will do my lunches for several days.

I called my cable provider and downgraded my phone plan and cancelled my cable TV. Since discovering Netflix, I haven't watched much television (except for the news) for most of this  year. My monthly payment for phone and internet will be $123.10, saving me  $47.46 a month. WooHoo.

I walked to the post office and picked up my mail. I received two more Christmas presents. What a lovely surprise. I was told they were coming by mail but I had completely forgotten about  them.
Another Michael's gift card "to feed my addiction."

A "Just Because Box" from one of my nieces, filled with pampering all natural bath and body products ( a bath bomb, body balm, solid perfume, and love those socks). It is one of 3 boxes that are due to arrive in the next 3 months. The "Just Because Box" is shipped out from a company in Texas. This will be so much fun. My niece told me that my gift also includes a weekend of pampering in Ottawa (where she lives) when we get a chance to set a date.

So now I am off to make dinner of a sausage casserole. I cannot believe another day has gone by and it is getting dark again already. The street lamps are on, as well as my outdoor Christmas lights. I had intended to unplug them on New Year's Day, but the snow has been deep and I haven't made the trek across the front snow banks yet. I'll have to get it done soon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my! How did you take down the ceiling by yourself? You are proving yourself to be quite the do-it-yourself-er! I am glad you were able to have your medications delivered to you and were able to stay home! Hope your day goes well, tomorrow and you are able to get your cards made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have a 3 step kitchen stool which I needed to climb to get up high enough to wiggle the boards free. I "held up" the ceiling by pushing up with a crow bar with my right hand, and I wiggled to boards loose one by one with my left. I made sure I was not directly under the ceiling part.

      Delete
  2. I really wish we lived closer to one another so we could meet up for coffee and chat about all those things because I want to comment on every paragraph but then my reply is going to be super long. But I talk much faster than I type, lol.

    I'm so happy you didn't get hurt by the falling ceiling! It is a puzzling problem. Maybe the extreme cold made the house contract and that loosened the nails? I hope that's not it otherwise a lot more things might fall, lol. But it looks like the wood was decorative so it's not like you have a hole in your ceiling. Phew!

    Smart woman you are to use the free delivery program from the pharmacy. The pharmacy I use for YS's acne prescriptions also offers this service but I've never used it since I don't like having people come over (I would imagine they'd want me to be home to receive the drugs instead of just leaving them on my front door). I am ashamed to say it would have never occurred to me to tip the driver, though.

    Hooray for cancelling the cable and changing your phone plan! That's a big amount of money you're going to save and you won't even miss those services. Can you use an indoor amplified antenna in one of your windows to get the local channels for free if you want the news? I know that here in the States, they're very cheap on Amazon, something like $20. I used to have one that worked great back when we had the old single pane windows, still. Then we had to change to an outdoor one but it still works great and we get all the local channels (and more) for free.

    Presents! What a great series of presents from your niece. I didn't send my great-aunt anything for her birthday or Christmas because she's 90 and there's just nothing she wants and she's actually getting rid of some of her stuff. Last year I had sent her chocolates but she can't have those, I found out later. She lives on her own and has very little mobility nowadays and rarely ventures out if at all, so I couldn't think of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those 5/8 inch planks were heavy and yes they were only decorative having been nailed into gyproc. But they should have been glued up and the finishing nails should only have held them up long enough for the glue to work its magic. I don't know WHY my husband neglected to use construction adhesive. I certainly will be when I go to replace them....which won't be until I get back.

      I don't know if I will get any kind of antenna for the TV. I will figure it out if I do. I can get the news from the radio or from on-line.

      Yes what a wonderful surprise from my niece. I can't wait to see what arrives next month. I send my mom a Christmas stocking every year, and it always contains the same old, same old. I wrap her favourite jellied candies (like Fruitful), new trouser socks, moisturizer, hand lotion, lip balm, scratch tickets, a new nail polish or nail clippers or gift certificate to the Drug Store. Some of those things you wouldn't be able to send to France (like the lottery tickets or the gift card), but the collection of little and inexpensive individually wrapped gifts always seems to delight her. Remember the lighted Christmas necklace you wore before Christmas? I send my mom those kinds of things as well. She will wear them at Christmas dinner. They are cheap from the Dollar Store. I think it is just the idea of getting a mixture of small gifts, some of them useful and some are quite silly.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to take down the ceiling boards easily, Susan. I can just imagine what that must have been like!

    Your soup sounds very yummy and those gifts seem fun, especially the Just Because box. And it's nice that your niece added an in-person component to your gift as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought her gift quite clever and imaginative. I gave her a wine-themed basket. But I think she easily outdid me this year.

      Delete