Monday, January 8, 2018

The Week Ahead

Environment
House: No Spring cleaning yet. I will wait until after I get back from my Cruise at the end of the month. This week I need to make up the spare room beds for my daughter and grand kids coming this weekend. I need to clean the main bathroom and vacuum all the floors downstairs.
I have to keep the driveway clear of snow. I was outside this afternoon to clear half of it before I got too cold. Tonight after supper, I will try to get out to finish the job.

Finances
Spending: I need to go to the bank at some point to get some American bills to take with me on the trip. I will need to buy some more garbage tags this week and just a few extras for the kids staying this weekend (juice, chocolate milk, and perhaps more eggs), but I am sure I have enough groceries without needing to buy anything else. I also need to buy 2 more rechargeable AA batteries for my camera. Except for  tipping the driver delivering my prescription on Wednesday and groceries on Friday,  every day was a no spend day. I faltered on Friday when I bought some 75% off Xmas purchases that I really didn't need. I will be e-transferring money (from my gift fund) to my oldest grand daughter this coming weekend for her birthday.

Saving: I called my cable company this week and cancelled my cable and downgraded my phone plan to 100 free minutes of long distance a month, saving me $47.46 a month. On Saturday, I transferred my GST directly into my savings account. GST stands for Goods and Services Taxes,  and for those of us who have a low or modest income, the government sends these cheques quarterly to help offset these taxes that we pay. It is based on the previous year's income  and is kind of like another mini income tax return. They are deposited to my account in January, April, July and October.  I do not calculate this as an income, so banking it is doable.

Family and Friends: A friend of my husband came over for coffee on Saturday and we discussed the work that needs to be done in the Spring regarding the fallen ceiling and the water leak from the dining room window. I sent him home with some sweet loaves and Christmas cookies from the freezer. I have talked long distance with my daughter and four long-time friends. I have used Facebook messenger to face time with my  son in BC, my brother and SIL in Smith Falls, my sister and my mom and every day with my dad and "Dee".  I have texted several times with my other son and his fiancee. I also keep in touch by email. My SIL who is going on the cruise with me, is calling me on Wednesday evening so we can discuss what we are bringing and what excursions if any, we will go on. My daughter and her family are coming this weekend to pick up the dog and take him home with them. It will be great to see them.

Health: I am continuing to eat the diet prescribed to me by my GP. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist this Wednesday afternoon. My exercise has been shoveling snow. Ha.

Crafts and Leisure: I spent last Thursday making eight birthday cards. I mailed one out today. I have been watching You Tube videos to re-acquaint myself with embroidery stitching as I would like to begin a project when I get back. I will continue to make birthday cards as well as two "Thinking of You" cards this Thursday, but I will strive to make fewer than 8. That was too many for one day. 


 

5 comments:

  1. Well done on your No Spend Days and on banking your GST! And I've already told you how great it was that you cancelled your cable and changed your phone plan to save more. You're doing great, Susan.

    Shoveling snow is hard work so don't laugh too much about calling it exercise. That's probably a lot more exercise than I'm getting leisurely biking on my recumbent bike while watching TV and reading blogs. I'm sure you'll see the results of all your hard work dieting and exercising when you visit your doctor's next. Did you ever go back, after that initial visit when you were disappointed by the "small" drop in your numbers but then the doctor actually told you that it was excellent, when you first went on the new diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to my GP twice since she initially put me on the "Real Food" plan. That first time I was disappointed with the .2 drop, but was told I lost 12 pounds and the doctor was really pleased with my progress. The second time I believe was near the end of October. My drop was another .03 and I'd lost another 8 pounds for a total loss of 20 pounds. She told me to come back sometime in January, so I will wait until I come back from the trip.

      Delete
    2. That is OUTSTANDING, Susan! What an accomplishment! You must be very proud. So you're going on your cruise now. Will you go see her after the cruise? Are you worried about how to eat when you're on the ship?

      Delete
  2. You have done excellent on your diet and the weight loss and decrease in your numbers show that! Well done on the spending side of things, too! I think we all get seduced by those 75% off after Christmas sales! Maybe you can tuck some of what you bought into the gift baskets, next Christmas, and look on them as gifts you bought well in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I have already decided to use them myself or as little gifts. I will use this as a lesson to stop and think before I buy. I have to ask myself if this purchase is REALLY necessary.

    ReplyDelete