Thursday, January 11, 2018

Thursday's Cards

After reading my email and blogs and  unloading the dishwasher, I washed the dog's food and water bowls and I scrubbed a toilet, so didn't get started at the dining room table until close to 11 o'clock. I made some die cuts on my Cricut machine from the Birthday Bash cartridge and put together 4 birthday cards before I stopped for lunch (leftovers from dinner last night). When I went back to my job, I decided I would make 2 "Thinking of You" cards to mail out tomorrow and then I would quit for the day. I found that 6 is much more doable than 8. It is 4 o'clock and there is still time left in the day to accomplish a few things besides just making cards. I also stamped a few images that I could water colour if the notion struck me before the next card making session, thereby saving some time. I remembered to take some pictures of the 4 birthday cards that I made for my stash. I also took a photo of the 2 "Thinking of You" cards which I will show you here.

Because I am trying to produce a lot of cards at once, I am using a card map or design to make 2 or 3 similar cards. I might change the colours I use, or change the design of the paper to make them slightly different. So in a way, I am kind of going assembly line, but not exactly. I still continue to make one card at a time, and if there is something I don't quite like in the first card, I will change things up for the second. In these two "Thinking of You" cards, one is going to my Mom and the other is going to the male friend who is battling cancer. Neither one knows I write a blog. I have used the same card design for both.
These are more or less identical. I used two different colours but decided to mat the coloured papers with black card stock.  I used rubber stamps with different fonts as one looked more feminine. Both have a silver snowflake, but the feminine one has a pink rhinestone in the centre. The more masculine one is embellished with 3 silver brads in a straight line across the bottom right. The feminine one is accented with pink iridescent sequins in a random display in opposite corners. I could have used a more masculine colour and pattern for the masculine card, but I decided I could get away with this colour blue because it is a winter card and it reminds me of frost and ice. You could certainly use the blue one to send to a woman as well. I wanted to show you how by changing a few details, you can use the same card map to get different looking cards. (sorta, kinda)

Anyways, that is what I did today. I tried phoning my daughter twice, but no answer. I face-timed with my sister and mother and with my Dad and "Dee". Tomorrow I will finish the bathrooms and vacuum downstairs. My SIL called me last night and we talked about the cruise and how much we are looking forward to it. I have printed out a description of the excursions, so we will probably use the time we have in Tampa to discuss which ones we would be interested in going together on. It's getting closer.


4 comments:

  1. It's the same design but they do look totally different to me. Great job. You made the cards you needed but saved some time too.

    It sounds like both you and your SIL are excited to go on this trip together. What fun you will be having! It'll be a nice change from the winter in Ontario :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a change of weather, although as I type this, it is a balmy 5 degrees Celsius and rainy. We have lost a lot of snow overnight. I can actually see patches of green grass on my lawn except for the snowbanks where snow has been piled up. I will take the opportunity today to remove my outdoor Christmas decorations. I couldn't get at them before now. This is known as a January thaw and it will not last. Freezing temperatures will be moving in again and we will have lots of snow before the winter is over....sometime in April.

      Delete
  2. Those cards are just lovely! Nathalie is right - same design but they look different! I love how you changed the colors and details to get them to look so different! Well, you know I am going to have to steal this card map, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it definitely is an accepted fact that you use this card design. I stole it from somewhere myself. I have a binder where I have some of my favourite card maps together in one place. These always spark an idea for me when I am looking for inspiration. Sometimes I use them directly the way they are, and sometimes I change them out a little. Either way, they make a great starting point.

      Delete