Friday, January 5, 2018

Grocery Shopping in Napanee

A number of things that are happening in my life right now are dragging me down. (No pity party please. I am just stating facts). So this morning when I called my daughter, I was nearly in tears trying to explain how I was feeling. I just wanted to hear her voice and know that everything was okay. I got to talk with my two grand children, still home on holidays. My daughter was so reassuring and lifted my spirits so much that I felt able to leave the house to do my grocery shopping. I hope that some times I can do the same for her. She gets me and I appreciate her "pep talks" so much.

I decided to head to Napanee because there is a No-Frills store there, and of course it is home to the Giant Tiger. Love the G.T. It is a discount department store with a grocery section, and this week there were a number of sales on things I wanted. I have combined the purchases from both of these stores under the different categories.

Meat cost me $38.56
Bacon was $2.50 each for 2, and chubs of lean ground meat were $2 each for six. The rest was not sale priced, but I got tilapia ($2.88), chicken legs with backs attached ($6.87) and mild Italian sausage ($11.81) which I still need to repackage into smaller freezer bags.
Dairy cost $9.87
The plain yoghurt was 99 cents and the 400 g cheese were on for $4.44 each for two blocks.
Produce cost $26.76
I picked up a tray of apples from the discounted fruit. There was nothing wrong with them except that they were small, which suited me fine. I got 8 apples for 99 cents. The frozen bags of Asian mix vegetables were sale priced at $1.77 each for 3 bags. I paid $1.98 for 6 avocados. Those items were sale priced. I also picked up 6 zucchini ($3.66), one cauliflower for $2.47, 3 lbs. of sweet potatoes for $2.99, 2 large eggplants for $4.45, and both cabbages for a total of $4.91
Non-food items cost $6.22
The TP was 50% off, which was good. The little Xmas items were discounted even more than that at 75% off, but did I need them? No. I bought them because they were a bargain. Shame on me. Maybe I can use them as little gifts later this year.
My total expenditure for today was $88.33, including taxes. All was food except for the items in the final photo. I did go out on New Year's Eve to pick up a few items at the Shopper's Drug Mart, which I did not share with you yet but I will include it here because it was bought with money from January 2018's household budget.
I needed to buy eggs and milk, but as it turned out, all of these items were on sale. Total expenditure for this sale was $41.20, bringing my total to date to $129.53 The milk was $3.20 for a quart of homo milk, so I bought half and half for $2.50 each. The butter was $3.29 each . Maxwell instant coffee was $2.99  and the eggs were "dirt cheap" at $1.88 a dozen. The glucosomine is for my dog. It really helps with his arthritis, and hopefully the pain that accompanies it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel emotional about something but I think I've repressed it well and then I'll talk to my mom and she'll say "something is wrong, I can hear it in your voice"and I'll just start crying as soon as she says that. But then I feel better. Coping up to my extreme fear of the dentist to my daughter and her support afterward really helped. There's just something about mothers and daughters, isn't there? No pity, just hugs and a hearty "chin up!".

    I love it when I go to the store and what I needed is on sale! I'll bet you were loving all your finds at Giant Tiger. Eggs at Aldi this week were $1.94 a dozen, yikes! I was happy they were on sale at CVS for $1.29 and would have liked to get more. Darn it, I should have asked for a raincheck. I completely forgot about that.

    It is horribly un-PC of me to have have done so but I chuckled at your "homo milk", sorry :)

    So you couldn't resist the Christmas trinkets on sale, eh? Aldi had very nice gift tags on 75% clearance as well and I looked at them and even touched a package, but I put it back because, as pretty and cheap as they were, I prefer sticker gift tags because, as you well know, I hate all the Christmas wrapping and I just want to get it done and over with and not fiddle with opening gift tags to write on them, and their strings, etc. So I saved myself $1.24 and a lot of aggravation. It's hard to resist sale and clearance tags, though, so I understand.

    Do you have a set budget that you try not to go over when you go shopping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some serious will power. I am more like a magpie. I see something shiny, (or in this case, shiny and a bargain to boot) and I am distracted from my goals of considering needs over wants. I have enough ribbon and embellishments to open my own shop. I am still kicking myself. I hope this will be a lesson. I have a monthly household budget. I buy what I need in the first week with not much regard for going over a certain amount. Sometimes I don't shop for a few weeks except maybe sale items, or milk and eggs. Any "crap" I buy (like the Xmas trinkets) comes out of my household budget, so if I want to eat, I had better get a better handle on my non-food expenditures. Otherwise, I am dipping into other areas of my budget.

      Delete
  2. Susan, I am so glad that you can talk to your daughter and she is able to lift your spirits. Daughters are such a blessing, aren't they?

    You got some very good deals on your grocery shopping. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are very good to me and they worry about me. They check up on me. But my daughter looks after that deep emotional part of me that I don't think many men are capable of because of their makeup. Mothers and daughters can have very close and nurturing relationships or they can have very stormy and hurtful relationships because they know you so well and know which buttons to push. I hope I always have an excellent connection with my daughter. My mom and I do not.

      Delete
  3. I, too, am glad your daughter was able to lift your spirits. I am so grateful for the people in my life who can help me come out of my head, and I'm glad you've got someone, too.

    I think your grocery prices look great! Nice sales on so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many wonderful people on my side. I am grateful every day for family and friendships that have endured. Everyone needs that in their life.

      Delete