Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A Change of Plans

My intentions were good. But we had a large snowfall last night, which resulted in me changing my mind about going into Kingston this morning for a fasting blood work done at the Life Labs. Instead, I shoveled snow. Got some exercise and some fresh air. That's healthy, right? So I did work on my health goals but not in the way I had planned. Because I didn't go into Kingston, I did not stop at Canadian Tire for an E-test. The week is still young and there will be more opportunities, although as I was outside shoveling this morning, a neighbour filled me in on tonight's forecast of between 10 and 15 cm of snow.

I started my Spring Cleaning in the Master bedroom. I didn't work long at it, but I did get started. I washed the door and frame going into the Master Bath. I washed the two closet doors, inside and outside as well as  the frame. After I tackled the outside of my bedroom door, my glove sprung a leak and the wash water got cold so I quit that. I went through a chest of drawers and decided to get rid of some tank tops I will no longer be wearing because they are stained. I will probably rip them up as rags. I changed out my bedding (I will throw the sheets in the wash after 7 o'clock) and I cleared off the top of my long dresser. Unfortunately, I didn't make note of the time, so I don't know exactly how long I worked on the cleaning.

One pair of off-white Petite Jeans that I will probably cut off and make capris (or give to Value Village), 7 tank tops that will rip into rags, and a blue silk evening bag (for Value Village).


I went to the Post Office to pick up the mail before I headed over to the Municipal office to talk with the Utilities Clerk about my water bill. She told me that the Meter reader could not read my meter because it was broken and needed to be replaced (as was indicated to her with a sticker attached to my bill), so the bill was based on a guesstimate. The sticker only said to call and arrange for a new water meter. It didn't explain why. I made an appointment for the meter to be replaced this Friday morning at 9 AM, and hopefully the actual reading will show that I did not use all the water I am being charged for. I told her I am just one person living in the house in the dead of winter with no reason to be using up more water. I explained I was living on a pension and couldn't afford to pay such a huge amount for water and sewer, so here's hoping this will get resolved. I have already made the payment, so maybe next bill will be so much less.

I returned home and shoveled out ALL  of the driveway in anticipation of more snow tonight. I wrote comments on the blogs I read today. As I have more time, I will go back and read the posts I missed while I was Island Hopping in the Caribbean.  Here are a few photos from Key West.





 Duval Street is the main drag through downtown. I loved all their cute little shops and boutiques.( I bought a bathing suit here). There are 117 bars alone on this street. Don't you adore the  2nd story verandahs?








 Sloppy Joe's is the bar that Hemingway frequented.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures of Key West! Did you see much hurricane damage? They worked very hard to be able to reopen for business as soon as they could, from what I heard.

    I hope your water meter situation gets resolved to your liking this week, Susan. And great job on that healthy workout, even though it wasn't what you had planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had another healthy workout this afternoon, after it finally stopped snowing. Thank you for saying my pictures are lovely. I am quite the amateur I'll have you know. When they go into my scrapbook with postcards and journaling, they will be fine.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to respond to your question about Hurricane damage. We started the tour with a trolley tour of the Island. In lots of places we were told about all the damage, but honestly, everything looked so green and lush that it was hard for any of us to imagine, not having any comparison to what it was like before. But they did tell us stories of how hard they worked to get everything ready for the tourists coming. I think it was mostly trees that came down. There was a house on the tour that was completely demolished but it was because a huge tree had come down and took the house with it.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, a change of plans is exactly what is needed! You did a great job, decluttering! Thank you for sharing your vacation pictures. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to share a few photos every day when I post. I worked on my bedroom again today, but not much was thrown out. It was more about moving things out of the bedroom where they did not belong. But that is also a good thing.

      Delete
  3. We moved into our new house and they said that the water meter couldn't be read because it was broken so they estimated. I told them that I had ripped out the kitchen and 3 bathrooms so there was literally one working toilet in the house so I couldn't have the water usuage that they put. They said that they would look into it but the bill was due and I paid it because I didn't hear anything back. They credited it back to $0 because I guess when the new water meter got put in, nothing could be read about the old one. I paid so much on that bill that it covered us for the next year!!! It was crazy!! Hope they resolve yours better and faster with a wonderful new meter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope so Alison. I wondered the same thing. If the old one is broken, then how can they read what I actually used; but, I expressed my hope that I would see a substantial credit on the next bill. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete