Monday, February 5, 2018

End of the Week and Grocery Shopping

I have been home for just about a whole week now, and I am already wondering what I have got accomplished. Since Wednesday, I still have not read any of my favourite blogs.I should qualify that. I have read this week's blogs, but not commented. I still have to read the previous two weeks blogs that I was unable to read while on the cruise.

I spent all day Thursday making the kids' valentine cards (ten of them) until I ran out of 2-way tape. I thought I had a huge stash of it somewhere that I bought at the Dollar Tree, but I am guessing I must have used it up before Christmas. Anyways, I didn't want to leave the house that day. But, I made myself go to Amerstview where I dropped off my prescription at the pharmacy, deposited $51 American dollars into my American bank account (I can use it when I go to California this summer), went to the Dollar Store there to purchase 4 rolls of tape, and to Foodland (which is not a discount grocery store) where I purchased a few items to get me through a couple of days. When I got back, I shredded and cooked a head of cabbage and put together the rest of the valentine cards. I did not take a photo, but I spent $25.70 on 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, one tin of chunk light tuna, 4 litres of whole milk, 2 large zucchini, a large head of cabbage, a whole chicken, a tin of sliced mushrooms, and 500 g of cottage cheese. Not cheap! I forgot to buy eggs, so I stopped at the convenience store and paid $3.50 for one dozen eggs.

Friday morning, my son's fiancee arrived to pick me up. She offered to drive me to Cobourg which is roughly half way between my house and my daughter's. My daughter has a bit longer to drive. We arrived a bit early so we could have a look around the town and we stopped and went inside the Habitat re-store to see what they offered in the way of second-hand furniture. It is nicer stuff than what we have in Kingston, but it is also more expensive. We went inside Swiss Chalet and had a hot cup of tea and waited for my daughter to arrive. Satchel was glad to see me. We made the switch and then left to return to our respective homes. My poor daughter had to take the dog twice to her vet in the three weeks she had him. His arthritis is so bad, he collapsed a few times and could not get up. He is now taking pain killers for the rest of his days (which are numbered I am afraid). He also somehow broke a toenail below the quick and bled profusely all over her kitchen. He is taking an antibiotic for that twice a day. It will be so hard for me when it is time to make a decision.

I had to leave the dog again almost right away when it was time for me  to leave for the birthday party dinner I had planned with the girls. But the dog slept the whole time I was gone. On the way into town I picked up my prescription and on the way back from dinner, I popped into another friend's house to see her new dog. She has been crated for most of her 3 years of life and is not socialized at all. She is very skittish. So I stayed there and had a visit so she could be around company and hopefully get used to different people. She is a lovely dog, but it will take some time to get used to her new surroundings.

Saturday morning I went to Food Basics to do a proper grocery shop. I am so glad I left when I did because the afternoon brought a big snowfall. My son and his fiancee were coming for dinner, but decided instead to stick around home.
 Produce (veggies) cost $40.29 
 Produce (fruit) cost me $ 8.98
 Dairy cost $18.20
Protein cost 24.45

I spent another $11 roughly on non-food items (not pictured) for a total of $103.27, with tax. Food cost $91.92. Add on the $29.20 I spent on February 1st, and I have spent already $121.12 on groceries this month. My dinner out at the restaurant this week, with tip was $45. It is February 5th, and I have spent $166.12 on food already. OMG. It better last all month.

The rest of the weekend I pretty much spent in the kitchen prepping food. I did one load of laundry and hung to dry. I finished packing up the souvenirs and valentines to take to the post office later this afternoon. I will probably write at least one more blog post today. I need to begin posting my cruise pictures and I need to figure out how to attack my Spring Cleaning schedule and then I will post that as well. Ta-ta for now.


5 comments:

  1. Awww poor doggie! I hope he's OK. It's a good thing your daughter knew what to do when he had his episodes.

    My BFF who is doing a Whole30 this month was complaining about all the food prep and cooking but I told her how much it's been beneficial to you and she liked hearing that. She hasn't looked past the first 30 days yet so she's not sure if she'll continue after that or not. She's already halfway through.

    Cruise pictures, yay! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully she will see enough success that it will motivate her to stick to it. She must find your success to be inspirational, doesn't she?

      Delete
    2. She was told not to weigh herself during that whole month so she's not sure if she's lost any weight but she has more energy and I can see her being more positive and feeling better than she did just 3 weeks ago so I'm happy for her. Hopefully she'll stick with eating healthier. She works at a restaurant and is on the go a lot with her daughter's dance classes and competitions so I'm not sure if she'll want to stick with a heavy prep program for more than 30 days. But for now she likes it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you needed to replenish a few things. Better to stock up at the beginning of the month. I'm sure you'll do fine with the grocery budget the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I really was out of everything. I tried to use things up before I left for my cruise.

      Delete