Friday, February 9, 2018

Is It Friday Yet?

It was another busy day that got away from me. At 9 AM sharp, two workers from the Township arrived to change out my water meter. I mentioned to them that when I left for vacation a couple of weeks ago, I could not shut off the water to the house like I wanted (to protect my pipes from freezing while I was gone). They appreciated my mentioning that because they too could not budge the shut off valve. They needed to gently turn it off with a set of channel lock pliers. They loved my dog Satchel and gave him lots of attention. Usually people think twice about walking up to my door (He looks so fierce) and I like it that way. However, anyone who gets to know him, or Boxers generally, soon learn that he is a marshmallow. When they were done I asked them how the Utility clerk was going to figure out if she had overcharged me on her guesstimate, and they answered by saying that if the last bill was significantly higher than the next one, I should be credited with the difference. So I will be watching. If they do not adjust my bill, I will fight it.

The rest of the morning I spent in the kitchen prepping food. You might remember that last week I bought 2 huge containers of spinach that I have not been eating down very quickly. I decided to wilt  the spinach from one of the containers and place it into muffin tins to make spinach "pucks" for the freezer. Now I will be able to add to my omelets and/or casseroles instead of worrying about eating it all before it goes bad on me. I still have most of one container of raw spinach to use for salads.


I also fried up some onions and peppers (from the freezer) and half the large clam shell of fresh mushrooms that were still left. (I cooked up one of them last Saturday). This will be starters for two stir fry dinners. The other half of the mushrooms I just fried in butter for the freezer. I made a chicken veggie soup with the stock I made earlier this week. I shredded and sauteed another head of cabbage and I fried a pound of bacon and a pound of ground beef. I added the ground beef to half of the buttered cabbage for dinner tonight.
One package of bacon cooked and frozen. I just reheat what I want in the microwave for breakfast or add some  to a recipe.
I had two bowls of my soup for lunch, and then headed upstairs to work on my bedroom. I took the glass cleaner and paper towels with me to clean two mirrors and some glass shelves in one of my built-ins. I vacuumed my bedroom thoroughly. I would love to put some laminate flooring down in this room, but not yet. I want to pay off my credit card first. This is the last room to be done. When we first moved into this house, we ripped up all the old flooring (vinyl tile or old carpet) and painted the sub floors with paint. We gradually laid porcelain tile or laminate flooring throughout. Of course, our bedroom is the last floor to be replaced; but,  I can live with it for a while longer.

I sat at the computer to try and figure out the status of my holiday photos and realized that a lot of them were missing. When I tried to download them again, I figured out that the batteries on my camera were low and so only a few were being downloaded. So it wasn't my camera. It wasn't my computer. It was the operator. Go figure. So I am going to quit my busy day here and promise to send more holiday cruise pictures tomorrow. I have since changed out the batteries and have successfully downloaded all of the photos to My Pictures. I'm too tired right now to try and sort it all out. I was hoping to steal a wee nap this afternoon but that didn't happen. So I will go eat my dinner and call my son to see how his wife did during surgery today and find out how his last clinic appointment went. I think I will watch a movie on Netflix tonight. Have a great weekend everyone.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, Susan, it is finally Friday! :D You had another productive day! I hope your son and daughter-in-law are both doing well. Have a lovely weekend, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. I hope you have a lovely weekend as well. My hip was bothering me yesterday, so I finally thought of taking a Tylenol which put me to sleep for over 2 hours. Catch-up sleep is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found your "missing" cruise pictures!

    I thought that to prevent pipes from freezing you were supposed to let the water run just a trickle? I'd better never move where we might get frozen pipes!

    I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you get a big credit on your water bill next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I "found" them, but I still didn't post any this week. I need to get on that.

    You are right about letting the water trickle slowly to prevent your pipes from freezing. We have done that overnight in the past if we are getting a very frigid night with a strong north wind. But I was going to be away for two weeks. I couldn't leave my water running, so the next best thing would have been to shut off the water and open the faucets to drain any water that might be lying in the pipes. Fortunately for me, there were no issues.

    ReplyDelete