Thursday, June 28, 2018

First Grocery Shop For July

Good thing I chose to go for my groceries today. Apparently that heat wave is moving into our area, and with Sunday being Canada Day, I imagine everyone will be out tomorrow and Saturday to get their shopping done. I found today to be busier than it usually is. The weather today has been very strange.  A few times it has been very warm and sunny. Other times the dark clouds move in and it looks very menacing. There is only a 30% chance of rain and thunder showers today.

I went to three stores today. I started with the furthest one away from me (Freshco) , moved closer to Food Basics, and ended with No Frills which is on the way back home. I had the flyers for the first two stores, but didn't have the one for No Frills. If I'd had the sales flyer for No Frills, I might have made a few different choices. Still, I think I did very well.
Fresh produce cost me $28.42 (large cabbage, avocados, rutabaga, 3 yams,4  sweet peppers, red onion, 5 zucchini and 3 yellow squash, 2 cucumbers, 2 eggplant)  I bought a bag of 4 avocados on sale at Freshco for $2.49 and then at No-Frills I  picked up another bag of  imperfects for 5.97. Don't worry. None of them will spoil.  I love 'em.
Frozen produce cost $18.99 ( 3 bags winter veggies, spinach, more blueberries)
I spent $27.98 on meat (large chicken breasts, Kielbasa, Italian sausage, and ground chicken)
Dairy cost $31.47  I accidentally picked up 2 containers of no fat yoghurt because the containers were the same green as the 3% and they were all together in a chest freezer. I think the store employee made the same mistake as I did, going by colour alone. I picked up some Feta cheese on sale (I see another moussaka in my future) and 3 blocks of cheese (2 of them Monteray Jack with jalapenos) Mmmm. .
Pantry items cost $9.24
Non-food items cost $8.42  I use vinegar to make my weed killer, my Miracle Clean spray and as a rinse agent in my dishwasher and washing machine.
I made a donation of $2 for Wounded Warriors at Freshco, so I spent a total of $125.37

This Sunday is Canada Day, as well as the birthday of a good friend of mine. Every year a group of us women  celebrate by taking the ferry over to Amherst Island for a potluck dinner, a parade, a strawberry social and finally an evening of fireworks. I bought the juices to make a punch for everyone and I will probably bring something that I know that I can eat (maybe cheese and kielbasa with a diet soft drink?)  Potlucks are fun to go to when your diet is restricted, because you have control over the offerings.

Everyone have a great weekend holiday. Stay cool and chillax.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on your grocery shopping! You got a lot of things for what you spent and that included a donation, too. Now I am curious to see what meals you will be making with what you bought! I will be going grocery shopping this weekend or Monday - I am starting to run out of things! Salad ingredients, and so forth.

    The potluck dinner and fireworks, afterwards, with your friends sounds like a very fun evening! Good idea to take something which you know you can eat, just in case the others forget you are on a special diet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I have been trying to remember to include what I am eating both for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is always a 2 egg omelet. (This morning's included yellow squash and spinach) My dinners are nothing really exciting but I will try to remember to include some photos now and again.

    ReplyDelete