Monday, June 9, 2014

Snow in Summer...an easy to grow, fast spreading, cascading perennial. 


     I roto-tilled my veggie garden on Saturday, took a shower, and had a nap. Several hours working in the hot sunshine will do that to you. I mention that because this morning I went out to plant my starter plants I picked up...also on Saturday, after the tilling and before the shower. I planted and put in tomato cages  4 beefsteak tomatoes, 4 Early Girl and 4 cherry tomato plants. I planted 4 sweet red pepper and 4 Cayenne peppers, 4 brocolli plants and 4 cauliflower plants. There are 2 different kinds of cucumbers and one row each of yellow onions and sweet white Spanish onions. I planted one hill each of zucchini, squash, musk melon, watermelon, and pumpkin. I planted dill in the garden and oregano, basil, rosemary and parsley  in planter boxes on the deck. I still have room for, but did not plant yet, corn, beans, carrots and maybe potatoes. I mixed 5 large bags of manure with peat moss and spread around all the new plantings. I came in, showered and took a nap. Thick dark clouds have moved into the area and I am kind of hoping we will get some rain tonight. I did not get around to watering my new plantings this afternoon. 

     Yesterday I was in Picton for the Cheese Festival with my brother from Smith Falls, his wife and one of his daughters. They bought a ticket for the other daughter, but she was not able to attend because she was working. I was invited in her place. To my niece, who gave up her ticket for me, I hope I did you proud. I drank all the sample tickets but one.....a chocolate cheesecake sample. The rest I "spent" on wine samplings from the Picton area wineries.  I bought a bottle of red wine from ThreeDogWinery, some dried chorizo sausage, 5 different kinds of cheese, and a package of cheese curd "for the trip back home" from Wilton cheese factory. This was the first year at the festival for our own local cheese factory. All the other cheese representatives come from all over Canada.  My brother and his family have been attending since its conception, but I have never been before. It was a fantastic event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment