Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My frugal activities this week

I don't know what these are called. A family member brought back seeds from Holland several years ago, and we have had these in our garden ever since. They are prolific self-seeders, as evidenced by the flowers growing over the fence in my neighbour's yard. They are very tall and the bees love 'em. They are rather pretty in the back of the border.
Garden: I cut all the lawns on Sunday.
 I continue to harvest yellow zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes and the occasional strawberry. So far we have been able to take care of the cucumbers and tomatoes in sandwiches and salads and have not been freezing any tomatoes yet. I found a couple of great zucchini recipes on-line that I will do tomorrow. (Today is a REAL summer day). I have 2 very large pumpkins and  4 cantaloupe that are getting close to ripening. I have cauliflower that needs to be tied off and I discovered that my broccoli is still sending out shoots. I will have to bring those in when I attend to the cauliflower. I have not been doing any weeding, in the veggie garden but I have to. All that rain and these hotter temperatures have been great for the weeds. My carrots are struggling against them for space. I have already decided that next year, I will not grow cauliflower; but instead, will plant more tomatoes. peppers and maybe some snow peas. 

DIY: My SP replaced my oven element and he found a vacuum line that had disengaged in the Jeep engine that prevented the blower from working. 
I made more dishwasher detergent and I designed an invitation to use for a special occasion coming up. 

Sewing: I am in the process of repairing some toss cushions and I am mending some of my undies (which are so worn looking, it is embarrassing to hang them out).  Most of this work is hand sewing. 

Organizing: I feel good about clearing most of my photos  and documents off my tablet. I deleted some and moved most to my desktop files. I did a quick organizing of my gift wrap closet and threw out half a garbage bag load. I'll do more at Christmas. 

Savings: I continue to wash laundry in cold water (except for bedsheets) and hang outside to dry. I can do better by not doing a load of laundry in the morning during mid-peak hours. Indoor drying racks are on sale at Canadian Tire this week. I plan to use one this winter. 
I got my August "catch-up" bill from Union Gas. I owe them $3. By next year, I vow they will owe ME in August. This is on the equal billing plan. 
I stretched out and cooked  3 lbs. of ground meat with onions, celery and grated zucchini to make 4 containers for the freezer. We continue to shop the grocery sales, especially for meat.  I bought 2 whole chickens and cut them up myself. And I bought 2 cryovac packs of pork loin and cut into chops and small roasts for less than $2 a lb.   I try not to buy any processed foods, except for cereal, pasta and some canned goods.   We haven't had any cereal for quite a while because I haven't found a good price. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast. 
I received more free shampoo in the mail. 

Those are my frugal attempts for the week. How did you manage? 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment