Thursday, August 28, 2014

My volunteer sunflower. This was planted by the birds between the patio blocks behind the shed.

So this morning I had a burst of ambition. After I cleared off all my counters and washed them completely, I turned my attention to the fronts of the cabinets top and bottom, and then the walls and appliances. Finally, still on my hands and knees, I did a very thorough wash of the kitchen floor. I congratulated myself for doing a good day's work before lunch. 

But while taking the dog out to the back yard, I noticed that when the sun disappeared behind the clouds, it would get quite cool and breezy. So I decided it was a great time to get into the veggie garden to pull some weeds and help those few struggling carrots by making room for them. The bean plants have flowers on them (purple and white), so hopefully I will have a harvest of beans (green and wax) for the freezer sometime in September. I am not sure about the carrots. I have been learning a lot this year. Definitely I will have to get my garden in sooner next Spring (mind you, my first planting of beans and carrots was not at all successful because I tried to use old seeds.) And I think I will have to find another location to grow watermelon and pumpkin if I still want to grow those things. Those plants just take over the whole garden. The cucumber, squash, zucchini and cantaloupe are not nearly as bad....just bad enough. 

The six new strawberry plants I bought in the Spring  have also taken over. I don't like them nearly as much as the everlasting strawberry that produces fruit all summer long, but does not spread runners as well as I would like. My onions were planted in the wrong spot. They have not grown very large I think because they get some shade during the day. I will change their location with the broccoli next year, which has full sun all day long. I noticed the soil was very dry this afternoon so I put the sprinkler on tonight. Talk later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment