Tuesday, May 19, 2015

After the May long week-end


Blooming lilacs

My husband drove to Smith Falls yesterday to pick me up. I had arrived the night before around 11 p.m., so it was late and I had already decided to sleep over. We had to check out of our cottage in Spanish by 9 AM  Sunday, so it was an early start to the day. We drove over to the Reception Hall (where we had the birthday party the night before), mainly because we were being served Brunch before we headed out on the highway; but also because, we needed to say our good-byes to family. We came home by way of Ottawa so that I could have a visit with my nieces. You may remember that I mentioned that the older niece had bought her first home a few months ago, but I had not yet seen it. Well it is a beautiful home. Built in 1952, it is filled with large rooms and a lot of charm. It lies on a large city lot on a tree-lined street. I could fall in love with that house. 

Apple blossoms

Before I left on Thursday, I took this photo of the apple blossoms on the trees out back. Today, on Tuesday, there are no blooms. They have all come down. So glad I remembered to take this picture. The grass that I cut before I left, needs to be cut again. And I really should have gone out today to work outside, but I thought I needed to read all of the emails and blog postings  that were waiting for me. Hopefully, tomorrow's temperatures will remain cool so I can get the work done. Today, I unpacked, washed and hung out a large load of laundry, made a crockpot of chicken stock and simmered a pot of spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner. 

Table ten at my Dad's 90th birthday party

The party was a huge success. My SIL from Smith Falls folded those dinner napkins with bow-ties seen in the photo above. We bought the miniature red roses from Canadian Tire, and wrapped them in white paper napkins and red ribbon to serve as the main centre pieces. There were drinks and hors d'oevres during the hour before dinner while guests were arriving. And live music was played before and after dinner (keyboard and guitar).  My Dad's wife "Dee" did a wonderful job of organizing this whole affair. After the party guests left, my Dad gifted each of us kids, a published copy of his memoirs. I am only about 1/3 the way through, because I didn't want to start it until after I got home. I have both laughed and cried with what I have read so far. What a wonderful keepsake. I hope your week-end was  fantastic as well. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great gift your dad gave you! Having a copy of his memoirs is priceless, not only for you, but for your kids and grandkids too! I'm really into genealogy and so thankful to all the ancestors and authors who spent countless hours putting all the information on paper for us to find and read. I've started writing my own memoirs for my kids but haven't worked on it in several months, I should really start again because memories fade fast (well, in my case, anyway!).

    ReplyDelete