Thursday, May 21, 2015

Working outside while it is cool.



Both purple and white Honesty plant or Silver Dollar plant

I did some grocery shopping yesterday morning and spent $80 at No Frills. We went very early so I was there when the meat manager was marking down packages to 30% off. I scored a couple of packages of mild Italian sausage and two sirloin tip steaks for a great bargain. On sale this week, were packages of chicken legs with backs attached, frozen seasoned chicken breasts, and family-sized packages of Italian sausage. I picked up a family sized Rice Krispie cereal (440 gm) for FREE because I was mailed a coupon for sending in a pin number  from a package of Mini Wheat cereal that I got on sale a few weeks ago. Although I picked up a few weekly specials, I did not use any other  coupons and did not price-match. Most of what I bought were actually things I needed to buy on my shopping list that were NOT on sale, so I was very surprised at spending so little. 

Candy Tuft with forget-me-nots

When I got home, I hung up the load of laundry that I threw in before we left the house. Inside, I cut up the two sirloin steaks into stewing meat for the freezer. I put away the package of seven whole seasoned chicken breasts. I roasted all six chicken legs with backs attached. I opened the package of twelve Italian sausage to repackage them into two servings of six each for the freezer. They will taste good some hot summer evening on the BBQ, with some home-made baked beans, potato salad or other salad I make. Finally, I took all the other sausages that I bought on clearance, out of their casings and fried them up with onion, celery and grated carrot to make four servings of browned ground meat for future casseroles. To one, I added the last of the strips of red pepper from the freezer, added kidney beans from the freezer, leftover niblets corn from the weekend, canned tomatoes and tomato soup, to make a big pot of chili con carne for dinner last night. I took the meat off the six chicken legs and backs and found that I had enough meat to freeze into three portions. I will add one of those to a stir fry I am making tonight over rice. I also made a huge pot of chicken soup with pasta and lots of veggies.

Alium growing amongst some Bleeding Heart

Because I had all that cooking and preparation to do after the shopping, I had to change my plans about working outside. I simply ran out of time. But I did manage to mow both the front and back yards with the push mower, and my husband took care of the back property on the riding lawn mower. I brought in the line of laundry but did not fold it yet.

Golden Basket in my front border garden

This morning my husband and I went outside at 9 AM, after I put some dried black beans in the crockpot to cook all day. He took down my Tamarack tree that died and a honey suckle bush that was growing where it was planted by the birds, but in a spot that I didn't approve of. I pulled weeds for four hours, but it barely looks like I made a dint. It was part of a garden bed that I never even made it to last summer, so it was very overgrown. I think I will move some of the flowers to my front border garden.....the part where we removed the huge Golden Juniper and the wild rose bush that is looking kind of bare right now. That will thin some areas in the back and add  flowers in the front so that I don't have to buy any. I will buy a very few annuals for my planters, and  just keep perennials and veggies in the garden beds. As long as the weather remains cool and breezy, I will use the opportunity to work outside in the garden and try to stay on top of things; but, we desperately need rain here. Until next time, have a wonderful evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment