Tuesday, May 26, 2015

We still need rain

Lupines are just starting to bloom

I spent a great part of the weekend outside, pulling more weeds and helping my husband cut back wild honeysuckle bushes. We used a Swede saw to cut through the trunks and large branches and pruning shears to cut the rest, before my husband used the Jeep to pull the bushes curbside at the back of our property.  A friend will come down sometime this week to cut up the wood into manageable pieces. Hopefully, he will be able to use the larger pieces in his wood stove, and we can take the brush to the composting centre. The breeze was cool and it was perfect weather to be outdoors, but at the end of Sunday  we were both too exhausted to transplant flowers to the front flower beds to take advantage of the heavy rains we were expecting yesterday. 


Johnny Jump-ups make me smile...especially when they come up where they weren't planted.

Yesterday came, and we got maybe two spits of rain all day. All around us apparently, it poured rain. Not us. So I used the time to move those plants that I wanted moved, and I emptied the other half of the garden soil from the back of our trailer, so that it would be ready to haul the wood/branches at the end of the property. It still didn't look like rain, so I did more weeding and cut back lots of grapevine. We are making headway, but I would really like a " rainy day" so I can take a break from gardening. The only domestic stuff I got done this weekend, was stripping the bed and getting two more loads of laundry washed and hung out, and I baked an apple crisp and another batch of dog biscuits. I made a Shepherd's pie on Saturday night, but Sunday and Monday we were content to just heat up leftovers. Tonight we are having cabbage roll casserole. With all the fresh air, sunshine and hard work we enjoyed today, I may hit the hay early tonight. Have a great evening.  



No comments:

Post a Comment