Friday, May 8, 2015

Mother's Day Weekend


My rhubarb patch

The weather this week has allowed me to be busy outdoors. I picked some rhubarb yesterday, but I have not done anything with it yet. I think I will make a rhubarb crumble. Next week I will make some pies. I think my rhubarb does really well because it is in full sun and because it grows next to my compost bins. 

I have lots of Bleeding Heart this year......red and white ones.

I cleaned up some more flower beds and did some weeding. Yesterday, we finished cutting the back lawn but have not trimmed the edges yet. I emptied the dirt from 6 of my wine barrel planters and threw it on the veggie garden. The bottoms of the barrels had completely rotted away and the slats near the bottom were finished. I somehow miraculously carried them back to the veggie garden, reassembled them (kind of) on some landscape fabric and started to refill them with dirt. I slowly realized that even if I got the strawberries planted inside them, these planters would only last maybe this one season before they failed. That would be a lot of hard labour for nothing. So, I moved them again into the raised veggie garden where I will use them as potato towers. I think I could get 3 or 4 potato plants into them. In the fall, I will probably have to get rid of them; but,  I will have lots of potatoes and the dirt I use to fill them over the summer will go back into the garden to amend the soil. The strawberries I am going to plant in large green plastic tubs that I already have. My husband and I will take the trailer load of trash that we filled yesterday, to the Transfer Station before we pick up a yard of top soil to bring back to the house to fill the strawberry tubs. I already have manure and peat moss here. 
Section of flower bed I haven't got to yet

After working in the hot sun, I don't feel much like cooking. That is when I am most glad to have some pre-made dinner in the freezer. Yesterday I made mashed potatoes and brown gravy to warm up some frozen meatballs I made a few weeks ago. Dinner was made in less than 30 minutes. It would have taken longer to order pizza. Have a great week-end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment