Friday, May 29, 2015

Burned, bruised and bleeding



Third trailer load to the Compost centre

My husband always says that when I come in from working outside and I am burned, bruised and bleeding, I have had a great day. We finally got all the cut branches, roots, and shrub from the back of the property. We still have another load of grapevine that I have been accumulating in a big pile, as well as some more dead branches. I will load those up next week as I continue to do yard work. This morning I picked up the loss leaders from Freshco. Tomorrow we will go to Napanee to shop at Giant Tiger and No Frills to pick up their specials and the few items on my grocery shopping list. 

Blue perennial sweetpea

This afternoon, I realized that it is time to put in my garden. It is the end of May, and although we have had frost warnings since the May long weekend....it is time. I haven't even put annuals into my planter pots yet. This crazy weather can't make up its mind. Still waiting for rain. Anyways, the veggie garden that I weeded (seems like a month ago now), has been overrun with weeds again, so this afternoon I tackled that job. I spent a couple of hours in the hot sun, pulling out weeds by the roots. Tomorrow, after shopping, I plan to lay down compost, peat moss, and manure and get some of my veggie starts from my local nursery. I will need to buy seeds for beans and carrots and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Sunday is our team's turn to serve dinner to our clients at St. Andrews (beef  veggie stew over mashed potatoes with buttermilk biscuits). I will be peeling and washing 15 pounds of potatoes before leaving home at 1:30, so the day is pretty much taken up with preparation. No gardening on Sunday. So have yourselves a great weekend and I will talk to you on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment