Thursday, February 11, 2016

Busy in the kitchen

I waited until 11 o'clock (after the high peak period for hydro) to turn on the stove, but I got busy before that preparing ingredients to make my freezer meals. The first thing I did was make my homemade BBQ sauce to add to the small pork roast in the crock pot. This will make up into pulled pork. I used the broth from yesterday's ham bone to make a huge pot of split pea soup for dinner tonight.  With the ham that I took off the bone last night, I added some cheese crumbles and peaches and cream corn to make 2 dozen savory muffins. We will eat these tonight with the split pea soup, and I will freeze the pulled pork mixture for the boys to have next week. I made some mince and gravy for another night. I also cooked a pot of chili con carne for the freezer.I combined all the ingredients to make a crock pot lasagna that my husband just needs to remove from the freezer and put directly into the crock pot some morning. That is more than enough to last the week, with leftovers. They also have eggs, tins of soup, tuna, etc., if they just want to eat light. While I was cooking, I was also washing up all the cooking utensils in the sink, so there will be few dishes to wash up tonight. But the stove top needs a deep cleaning.                

One thing I did not make today was a birthday cake for my Sweetie. It is his birthday today. I have decided we will celebrate OUR birthdays this weekend with a homemade pizza and a cake, since my birthday is next week. We don't do anything special for our birthdays........no going out or birthday gifts, so a cake and a card is all we will do to mark the occasion. We don't need a reminder about how old we are. We feel it in our joints almost every day. Ha. 

It has suddenly gotten very cold today and is supposed to get colder by Saturday. It is a great time to stay indoors and snuggle into each other to stay warm. I'm looking forward to that. 
  

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to the both of you, Susan!

    Your savory muffins sound very interesting. Would you mind posting the recipe whenever you get a chance? Doesn't have to be this week, I know you're busy getting ready to go spend the week with your mom.

    My crockpot lasagna was a disaster today. It was the 1st time I tried it and it tasted really disgusting, I couldn't even eat it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe I used was from the last newsletter I received from the Cheapskates Club. It is number 5 on the newsletter called "waste not, want not" muffins. https://t.e2ma.net/message/qb1t9/mgme6r
    They weren't very savoury because I didn't add any spices. Garlic might have been a good choice. But they weren't bad. People here are eating them, and I will freeze some for later.

    The crockpot lasagna recipe I use is from the Company's Coming cookbook. We like it, but I have made a few changes. The lasagna noodles cannot be the oven ready kind. You have to break them up and boil them for the 14-16 minutes that it recommends on the package. I don't add the cottage cheese 'til 30 minutes before we eat, and the grated mozzarella cheese goes in just before I serve because it is hot enough to melt the cheese.

    And thank you for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recipe! I printed it and I will need to remember it for the next time I have things that I'm wondering how to use.

      I think I'll stick with making lasagna the traditional way next time. I threw away the whole batch, it was so bad. The recipe called to add everything at once (I used regular lasagna noodles but I didn't have to boil them first) apart from the mozzarella topping which I didn't bother with. The only thing is that I was supposed to cook it on low for 5 hours and my crockpot doesn't have anything shorter than 8 hours for low so I took my chances. Somehow I don't think that 5 hours would have made a difference but who knows?

      Delete