Tuesday, February 9, 2016

February Grocery Freeze

You remember this wall....the one with falling lathe and plaster after we took down the paneling.
I haven't done anything in this room since Saturday. I am running out of time, but I am also running out of steam. It has had two coats and needs to be sanded and a third skim coat needs to be applied before we can prime the walls. I took some time out on Sunday and yesterday morning to make and mail out 10 friendship cards in time for Valentine's Day this weekend. Then last night I realized with horror that I had forgotten my young nephew's birthday. I made that belated card quickly this morning, so I could get it mailed out to him. Unfortunately, I neglected to take any photos before putting them in envelopes. 

This is a nice deep closet space. We left the old paneling showing on the back wall.

I sent an email to my sister this morning telling her that I can be with mom in Cobourg next week. She is still recovering at home, and our step-sister is going to Florida for a week starting this weekend. I will try to cook ahead for the boys while I am gone. The dog will need his stash of biscuits baked up before I leave. As you can see, he doesn't need them for the extra calories, but because he is spoiled rotten. 


Our Boxer giving me a scowl

The month of February is going to be a big spend month, so I am seriously considering a freeze on my grocery budget. I am going to see how long I can live out of the pantry and freezer without having to buy anything else from the budget. I really don't want to dip into savings if I don't have to. My husband has to renew the plates on his Jeep, as well as renew his driver's licence. He also is replacing both front axles on the vehicle. He has already bought the parts, but has to arrange the time in his friend's automotive garage. He is hoping that tomorrow morning will work out, as his friend has had to cancel on him three times already. Also, it is going to cost a little extra to drive to Cobourg and back twice, and my meals in the dining room while I am there. There are lots of birthdays this month, but they will only require more cards (no pressies) to be made this week. 

I have been getting sloppy recently about keeping my electrical use down to low peak periods, and I am paying for it. Our hydro bill was wa-a-a-ay up this past month of January. Also, our phone bill took a hike. If we can't get this down, I will need to re-examine the budget again at the end of this month. So our dinner menu since Friday went like this:
Friday-  Roast beef with roasted potatoes and carrots, gravy and boiled cabbage
Saturday- Meatballs in gravy, baked potatoes with sour cream, green beans and peas
Sunday- Macaroni and cheese
Monday- Oven baked penne with homemade pasta sauce with sausage, onion and green peppers
Tuesday- Shepherd's Pie

So that is all the news for now. Have a great evening. 



3 comments:

  1. What would happen if you just painted the walls as is? Would that be bad? Sorry to hear about your bills. It must be a hassle to have to remember at what time to do the laundry, etc.

    Where is your stepsister going to be, in Florida? I hope your stay in Cobourg goes well. It's nice that your son and GF are staying with you so they can keep an eye on your husband while you're gone.

    I can't believe that he's going to replace the axles on his Jeep! Can we just bring Greg's truck to him? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I don't know where she will be in Florida. Any part of Florida sounds great this time of year. We are having our third straight day of snow flurries. Mind you, it isn't bad this winter. I have yet to shovel the driveway. (knock on wood)I will be staying with my mom from Monday to Friday next week...five days this time. It shouldn't be too bad. Maybe I can take along some craft supplies this time.

    I'm afraid the walls have to be sanded before the primer goes on. It has to be as smooth as you can get it, otherwise the paint will show up every nick or ridge in the drywall mud.

    Yes, my Sweetie is out this afternoon doing work on the Jeep. Hopefully his friend will give him a hand. He is pretty good that way. My husband just doesn't have the strength in his arms anymore. We need to keep this Jeep alive for a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about "any part of Florida"... South Florida, maybe. It's gonna be -2C tonight in Northern Central Florida. Brrr.

      Delete