Friday, February 26, 2016

First grocery shop for March

I chose to shop at No-Frills this morning because there seemed to be a lot of great buys this week at their 88 sale. Here is what I got.                     
Produce $20.10

I needed to buy more frozen vegetables for the freezer this week (peas, corn, cauliflower and broccoli mix, and Oriental mix); but, there were lots of great deals on fresh vegetables as well. Is that celery back there? Why yes it is....two bags full. They were finally down to a respectable price of  $2.88 for two bunches, as was the broccoli. I paid only $1.88 for the 5 lb. bag of rutabaga and the vegetable cocktail drink was only 88 cents a bottle. I paid full price of $1.77 for 3 lbs of onions. 

Protein $43.29

Red sockeye salmon is $2.88 a tin
Hereford canned corned beef is $2.88 a tin
Piller kielbassa is $3.88
10 Highliner fillets are $3.97
4 chicken legs with backs cost 6.63
3 pounds of extra lean ground beef in chubs cost $10
1.2 kg fresh ground beef and pork mix cost $7.29

Bread $7.52

Everything, including the kaiser buns and cinnamon raisin bread cost $1.88 each

Groceries $11.17

Pasta sauce $0.88 each, coffee $2.88 each and Hellman's $3.47

Sundries $0.88

Dairy $8.91

The price of milk has gone up from $3.97 to $4.27
The plastic cheese slices cost only $1.88 a pkg. of 24 and the margarine was 88 cents a tub. 

Dry packaged pantry goods $7.52

Each box cost $1.88 a package. I bought the boxed cookies for my Sweetie because he had mentioned just two days ago that it had been quite a while since he'd had either of these two kinds of cookies. He had mentioned these two particular kinds....coincidence?  

After I came home and documented my shopping,  I made myself lunch and then felt very tired. I didn't feel like cleaning anymore in my front room like I had planned. I would rather do that first thing to start the day. So instead, I topped up the fish aquarium and watered all of my indoor plants. I would like to be able to cross something off my to-do list before I have some shut-eye. 

I had an appointment in town this morning to have my second Twin-Rix shot and a Typhoid shot. I realized this morning that there are only two more weeks today before I leave for my trip. I have a lot I want to do before I leave for EGYPT. Yes, this is where I will be travelling next with D. Neither my dad nor my Sweetie are going with us. It will be just the two of us women going. We will be travelling with tour guides and D has already registered our itinerary with the Canadian government. I am sure we will be safe. It is a trip of a lifetime and I am ecstatic to be going. I will be back on March 28th with lots of photos to share. Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and I will report on my cleaning schedule soon. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice job on your shopping trip, Susan. You got some really good deals! :)
    Seeing your purchase of the Cinnamon Raisin bread brought back a memory for me and made me smile. As a kid my grandmother used to buy Cinnamon Raisins bagels and instead of butter or cream cheese, she used to spread peanut butter and jelly on the toasted bagel. I loved it way back then and I love it still to this day! :)
    How exciting that you are planning for a trip to Egypt! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Dawn, I was really pleased to get a lot of great deals this week after watching the prices on groceries go up and up since December. I'm thankful for the break.
    There is something very comforting about toasted raisin bread. It is often too expensive to purchase. Maybe I should have bought more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great deals! Look at all the cheese slices you got for $1.99!!! I pay about that price for half the amount. Jealous... lol.

    Egypt, oh my,what an adventure! Are you going to see the pyramids, the Sphynx, and all the other ruins? While I'd love to see the sights too, I'm not going to lie and say that I won't be concerned about your safety over there. Be very careful, my dear. How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is very exciting; and no, you are not the only one who has expressed concern over personal safety. But it will be terribly exciting. We will be cautious and respect the customs of their religion and culture. I want to ride a camel. *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still looking for a good price on the celery. I sent my husband to get a few things and told him not to get the celery if it was over $1.50 and he came home without celery :( I am hoping for a good deal soon because I even make soup without it today so that was sad. Great produce stock up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I was very happy with the prices on fresh produce this week. I haven't bought celery since before Christmas. I may go back for more this week, just in case it starts to go up in price again.

    ReplyDelete