Friday, February 12, 2016

I have been cheating (on my grocery freeze)

Produce $9.90
Friday mornings find us at Costco for the bread pickup, so I had my Sweetie drive me over to Freshco where they had some loss leaders on produce. Woo-Hoo. I really wanted a salad, so I jumped all over the lettuce at $1.49 a lb., plum tomatoes at $.99 a pound and a small English cucumber for $1.29. Celery was down to $2.49 a bunch, but still too rich for my blood. Ten lbs of potatoes were $1.99, sweet potatoes were $.69 a lb., and broccoli crowns were also $1.49 a pound. I paid full price of 99 cents for the bean sprouts. I am making a chicken stir fry over ramen noodles tonight, and will have the green salad along with our DIY pizza tomorrow night. 

All other items $15.85

The 24 plastic cheese slices (that's what I call them) were only $2.99. They go into grilled cheese sandwiches. Bread was on sale for $2.29 a loaf. I hate paying over $2 for a loaf of bread, but it is what it is. And finally, I paid $5.99 for 25 dishwasher tabs because we are completely out, and the guys will be needing them next week. So much for putting a spending freeze on groceries. However, the whole bill only came to $26.64 Add that to my first shop of  $122.78 for Food Basics, $32.90 for Bulk Barn, and $33.25 for Giant Tiger, I have spent $215.57 of my budgeted $300. So not exactly a spending freeze. But if I were to come in under budget again this month, like I did in January, I will still be better off for it. 

We are having snow squalls today. By the end of it, we may end up with 7-9 cm. of the white stuff....enough to have to shovel the driveway. I guess I spoke too soon. Have a safe weekend everyone, and stay warm.                                                                                                     

2 comments:

  1. Spending freezes are always tough because you find great deals and then can't pass them up. I hope that you end up well under budget and aren't too upset with the not so frozen spending :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good deals there Susan. I always buy plastic cheese too and call it that. Ha ha
    Good luck with coming in under budget. Xx

    ReplyDelete