Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The bedroom renovation

We originally thought that we might patch a few holes and do some painting to this room, but it has become a full renovation. I am so glad we did this. Behind this wall in the first photo is the main bathroom. When we did the renovation on the bathroom side years ago, my husband then thought it a good idea to put "safe and sound" insulation between the walls. Good job. So now the wall is already insulated against the sound of the running water, and we don't have to worry about sound-proofing now. I sure didn't want to tear down any walls if we didn't have to. 
Taping has started

The wall with the window is the "false" exterior wall. It also extends around the old chimney on the left and around the heating duct on the right. This wall is well insulated with pink fiberglass insulation. My son and his GF taped and put on the first coat of gyproc mud. My husband and I did the inside and outside corners in the room and put the second coat of mud on the horizontal seams this morning. It would be really great if it were ready for priming and painting this weekend, but I won't hold my breath. 

Getting there

On Friday I roasted both chickens that I picked up at the grocers. One went into the freezer, and the other was served for dinner that night with mashed potatoes, cauliflower and cheese, and broccoli. On Saturday, we were treated again to a pizza dinner and Caesar salad by my son and his GF. Sunday I served a wonderful ham dinner with mashed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, baked beans and buttered rolls  to our clients at St. Andrew's church. Last night I made pork chops with scalloped potatoes and onions, peas and  the rest of the cauliflower. Chili con carne is on the menu tonight. 

My sister was released from hospital yesterday and  I talked to her husband last evening. She is still very tired. I talked to my step-sister who has been dropping in to see my mom every other day. She says she has been making out alright  and from the sounds of things, my mom sounds pretty good. There may not be an urgent need for my help right now. 

It is the beginning of February. I did not finish the two homemade Christmas presents that I wanted to have done, so I will just aim for four or more for the end of this month. At least I got the two of them started. On the weekend, I made a big pot of soup for lunches this week, and some more dog biscuits. Today I washed two super loads of laundry and will dry them tonight. Have another great evening. 

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear that your sister is on the mend and out of the hospital, I wish her the best. And also that your mom is doing OK and that your stepsister continues to check in on her.

    Good job with all the reno job. I guess I will never be able to complain about having to paint a wall without feeling guilty at the thought of what you and your family are accomplishing! That bedroom is going to look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nathalie. The room isn't finished yet, but already looks 100% better.

    ReplyDelete