Thursday, March 31, 2016

Pyramis Isis Island resort

I have been home for three days now and have been informed that I have to start showing some of my photos from my trip to Egypt before I get too comfortable. I still haven't downloaded my photos from my camera, so here are some more that I have taken with the Blackberry. After our Nile Cruise, we spent a relaxing week at this all-inclusive resort on Isis Island. It was a welcome relief after a very busy five days of touring Pyramids, Temples and tombs. We were able to hang by the pool, read from their on-site library and soak in the peace and quiet  that this place had in abundance. We could walk completely around the island and enjoy the wonderful flowers, or  watch the birds and animals that lived along the river. We really enjoyed our stay here. It was so good for the soul.
   
View of the Nile from our balcony (right hand side)


View from our balcony (left hand side)


View from the dock in front of our hotel

After a few days of solitude, we were able to book a tour to Abu Simbel, one of the great wonders of the world. (You will get to see pictures later). It was a full day's excursion with a guided tour bus, as it is a 3 hour drive from Aswan. We also went by river taxi on our own to Kitchener Island to spend an afternoon at the Botanical Gardens. We also took a boat city-side to spend a morning on the terrace of the Old Cataract Hotel. The Old Cataract is very posh (comparable to the Ritz in London or the Empress Hotel in Victoria). We were too early to have 'Tea". so we settled for a tall cold glass of guava juice. Though these smaller excursions in Aswan were unguided, we felt perfectly safe. 

View from one of the two pools on the property

The sailboats in Egypt are called felucas, and yes we were able to sail on one. We looked forward to watching the school children pass by in river boats on their way home from school in Aswan. They were always singing and clapping on the boats and waving  to us on the island on their way by. So I will leave Egypt for a little while now, to report on my doings since I have come back.

I have completely unpacked and have done up two large loads of laundry and hung them out on my clothesline outdoors. Ya-a-ay! It really hasn't been that warm, but the last two days were sunny and breezy and perfect weather for drying. I have folded those two loads and another that was waiting in the basket, and put them away. 

I am mostly caught up with all my emails and blogs and  have left comments on some. The only things left are the You tube videos I subscribe to, but they can wait. 

I have looked after some end-of-the-month bills that are due, by paying them on-line. 

I cleaned the litter box downstairs and washed out the dog's bowls.

Both the  kitchen and the downstairs bath have had a good clean. 

I emptied the kitchen compost. I usually take out the garbage and the Blue Box, but my Sweetie Pie did that for me last night. Yay!

Tomorrow I would like to vacuum through the house, make some birthday cards for April and May, and then make up my room-by-room lists for decluttering and Spring cleaning. But I will be back to share more photos with you. I want this happy feeling to last a very long time. 



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like thinking about the kids being happy on their boats after school :) I didn't picture Egypt to look like anything in your pictures, though, lol. It really sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime!

    Did you eat Egyptian food? What was it like?

    I started reading all the cleaning that you did and was about to comment that it sounded like you had ran out of things to clean at home, so you were welcome to take a cruise down to Florida to start cleaning my house... but then you said you have to start on your Spring Cleaning. Lady... what is this Spring Cleaning you speak of?! Haven't you cleaned enough already?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, the food was wonderful. Of course most of the food was very familiar. There were dishes of beef, chicken and fish. The most common vegetables were zucchini, okra, cauliflower, carrots, peas and eggplant. All the bread and rolls tasted delicious, but I particularly loved their fresh baked pita breads. There were spreads of soft white cheese, hummus, tahini and baba ganoush. Some Egyptian dishes included moussaka, Kushari (lentils, rice, and pasta mixed). Kofta (minced beef rolled like a sausage) and Mahshi (rice stuffed peppers, zucchini and eggplant) and kebabs of grilled chicken, beef and kofta. I am actually suffering withdrawal from not getting grilled eggplant with my omelet for breakfast in the morning. *laugh* The food really was delicious. Lots of salads and fresh fruits. Love, love fresh dates, and I was taught how to slip the peels off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you took pictures and you're crafting a post about it right now... (hint hint)!

      Delete