Monday, June 11, 2018

Daybook: Monday, June 11/18

Outside my window.....it is sunny and breezy. It looks like another gorgeous day. I NEED to get outside to mow the lawns today.

I am thinking.....of the past week and all that got accomplished. I am also thinking of all the cards I worked on this weekend in order to build up my stash once again. I am desperately in need of more encouragement cards to mail out.

I am thankful for.....my son for being able to come out on Thursday to help me in loading up more stuff in the dumpster from the shed. I could not have managed it all on my own.

From the kitchen.....I baked a moussaka last night, enough for two or three meals.

I am wearing.....tan coloured capris and a yellow t-shirt with a loon on the front. It is well stained and works well for wearing around the house. I am in bare feet and wearing my hair in a ponytail.

I am creating.....lots of cards at the present time. I've made birthday cards (including masculine), thinking-of-you cards, and  encouragement cards (again both masculine and feminine)

I am going.....to the post office today. I have nine cards to mail out this morning. I am expecting a call from my daughter this morning, and then I will head outdoors to mow the grass. I was out yesterday to pick up my prescription and some specials from Shopper's Drug Mart, so there is no need to go out today.

I am hoping.....to hold my first yard sale this Saturday. I need to call some friends today to arrange some helpers and check the long-range forecast to see if the weather will co-operate.

I am hearing.....occasional traffic noise and a lawn mower in the distance.

Around the house.....I have lots of boxes and bags of items that will need pricing this week.

One of my favourite things.....is a conversation with my daughter, or a good friend who is willing to let me bend her ear and vent.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....will primarily revolve around getting ready for the yard sale.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
Bridal veil shrub.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are gearing up to a busy week ahead, mowing the lawn and getting ready for the yard sale! Good luck with the sale - hope you have a very successful one. Advertising is key! Price your items a little higher than you'd like to get, so there's room to come down to the price you want - people like to feel they are getting a
    bargain! Price things at $1 and expect to get $.50.

    One tip I have is to use colored stickers, especially if you have a lot of items and don't want to write the prices, individually. Assign a price to each color - white = $.25, yellow = $.50, green = $1, and so forth. (You keep a sheet with a set of stickers with the prices written on them, so you don't have to remember what each color means). Then, just stick that color sticker to all the items you want to sell at that price - all the $.25 items will have a white sticker, etc. If you like, you can even have a poster up with the different colored stickers and their prices to minimize the number of people asking how much is something. But, over here, at least, people will try to switch the stickers on an item, to one with a lower price!

    Also, have LOTS of change on hand! From bills to coins. People here will give a $20 bill for a $1-$2 purchase and expect you to have enough cash to give them change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the tips. I have at least one friend who is coming over on Friday night to sleep over, and I am also hoping my son can come. The biggest part of holding a yard sale is getting the "merchandise" outside and set up on display first thing in the morning. Yes I find people like to have things "priced" as a starting point for negotiating. Fortunately, I have never had anyone be so dishonest as to change the price stickers, especially when they know I will accept almost any offer to get it sold. I am not bringing anything back inside. I also always have a FREE box on offer to get people to stop and have a look. I don't use stickers unless it is an item I am looking for more money. Generally, I just set up a $ table, a 50 cent table...and all books are a quarter each. Then, let the haggling begin. You are absolutely correct about having lots of change in small bills and coins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having a $1 table, etc., is a good alternative. And I was going to suggest a free box, too, but didn't want to come across as telling you how to run your yard sale! Over here, since it is often so hot in the summer, some people have a cooler full of bottled water or cans of soda that they sell for $1/bottle. Always a good money maker!

      Delete