Monday, June 25, 2018

Daybook: Monday, June 25/18

Outside my window.....it is a beautiful clear sunny day after a wet and overcast weekend. Flowers are blooming, but the weeds are thriving as well.

I am thinking.....I have lost the battle with the robins this year. Yesterday I ripped out the start of a nest inside one of my hanging baskets and watered until it poured out the bottom of the planter. This morning they were up before I was, and managed to finish a new nest. They are bound and determined to make this their new home. I will be flying out of Kingston on July 11th, so maybe the babies will be gone before I get back.

I am thankful for.....being able to watch these industrious little robins up close and personal.

From the kitchen.....I have a pot of chicken vegetable soup simmering on the stove. It will be done before 11 AM when the on-peak hydro rates will start. I started with the broth I made yesterday in the crock pot and had in the fridge overnight. I skimmed off the fat that had congealed on top, added frozen broccoli and cauliflower, some dehydrated onion flakes, some celery I had chopped up last week and put into the freezer, some frozen burgundy beans from my garden and two small slightly wilted carrots from the bottom of my crisper. I added lots of chicken meat I took off some of the legs I made the broth from. I still have to remove the rest of the meat to use in future meals. I have brewed my pot of tea for the day, but still have to empty the dishwasher I ran before going to bed last night. My breakfast was a 2-egg omelet (no surprise there) made with fried onion and sliced mushroom using some of the refrigerated bacon fat.

I am wearing.....black yoga capris with my gray Penguin books T-shirt.

I am creating.....a collection of photos to give to my son's fiancee.

I am going.....to the Post Office later to mail off 3 encouragement cards and 1 "congrats" card.  I don't NEED to go anywhere else today.

I am hoping.....to finish vacuuming the floors today.

I am hearing.....the voices of high school students as they walk past the house, occasional traffic passing by, and the robins as they fly back and forth to the nest.

Around the house.....I have a lot of straightening up and cleaning to do now that the yard sale is over and the items are removed from various locations in the house.

One of my favourite things.....right now are the cooler temperatures that have moved in. I don't feel like doing anything when it is too hot in the summer.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....revolve around some housework, some yard work and maybe a little crafting. I have no appointments or dates scheduled. I have already booked my bus to the Toronto airport and my flight to and from Vancouver in July. Since my DIL in Vancouver will be unable to attend my Middle son's wedding (her radiation treatments will end with Tuesday's appointment), I am flying out to Vancouver and driving down with my son and two of my grand daughters. We will travel down the coastal route stopping for 3 nights along the way until we get to our airBnB in Sebastopol. After the wedding, we will "hurry" back to Vancouver. I will stay with the family for a few days before and after the trip. Maybe I will be able to help out some.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....


5 comments:

  1. I hope your DIL in doing OK with her radiation and will recover soon. Wow, the wedding is almost here! How exciting!

    Exciting is also the bird's nest in your flower pot. I would be thrilled to have a bird's nest and be able to see the baby birds! We had a nest in one of our fake hanging baskets (that I've since taken down) a few years back but I don't think the eggs ever hatched. Either that or a stray cat got to the babies :(

    I'm also wearing black yoga capris: twins! I need to do some cleaning but I don't feel much like it. I was joking with Greg that YS won't be sweeping while we're gone and we'll come back to dust bunnies the size of racoons!

    Have a great day, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedding is coming up really quickly. I haven't even thought of what I am going to pack yet. I just learned that my son's fiancee's Maid of Honour is in hospital and will not be able to fly to the wedding after all. So there are last minute arrangements going on.

      Despite my comings and goings the other day, the robins kept on building the nest until it was finished. The next day they were no where to be found. I think something must have happened to the female that night. Something has prevented her from returning to the nest and I don't think it was me this time. The nest lays empty.

      Delete
  2. Aw, the robins are determined to nest in your hanging planter! I had birds nesting in my front porch light (the top of the lamp shade was broken, so they were able to get inside!) After the babies left, I cleaned out the light and covered the top with a piece of chicken wire. They returned the next year and tried to remove the wire, but couldn't. They were very vocal about their disapproval, but found another place to nest (I presume).

    Your chicken soup sounds delicious!

    I hope your DIL is doing well with her treatments. I'm sure she'll be glad of your help, when you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems very strange to me that the robins persevered with the nest building, only to abandon using it. Something must have happened to the female. It makes me sad.

    My DIL's radiation ended yesterday, but she will feel just as poorly for at least a month, according to her oncologist. The mouth sores will persist and it will be difficult to swallow or talk. Eating and taking enough fluids will be ongoing for quite some time, so she is not out of the woods yet. I will continue my card campaign until I see her on the 11th of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Hugs))) to your DIL. Hope she recovers soon.

      Delete