Saturday, June 2, 2018

May's Recap

I knew I hadn't written out a list of goals for May, but I was curious to know how my month stacked up against my 2018 goals for the year. Reading through my post for the past month, it felt like I had lived a lifetime. So much had happened since I returned home from my 2 week trip to Elliot Lake.

Environment:
House- I did not get my Spring Cleaning accomplished by May. My circumstances have changed, so I focused more on purging items and downsizing my belongings. I have yet to hold my first yard sale, but I was able to sell some items through the online Kijiji.  Once I am rid of the items destined to leave, I will be able to give the house a good clean, get rid of even more items, and bring in a realtor. But I am pretty sure I have given up the idea of selling this house until early next Spring (March or April).

Garden- I have given up on the idea of growing my veggie garden this summer. I have simply run out of time. To make the property look more attractive to buyers, I will focus on the flower beds, keeping the property mowed and kept up. I have brought in a dumpster to get rid of all the old wood from past projects and lots of other items around the yard, including inside the work shed. I am transplanting some perennials from one of my biggest flower beds so I can turn that garden back into lawn. I will bring in more mulch, after examining whether or not I can find free or cheap mulch sources. I am also thinning out lots of perennials to give away to friends and family. I will be pulling weeds and roto tilling my vegetable garden later in the season so people can see there is a very large vegetable garden. (This is a complete contradiction of my 2018 goals of putting emphasis on my vegetable garden and not in the flower beds) My riding lawn mower is back for servicing, but I have not yet heard back about how much it will cost to repair it. I have people who will show me how to use it. Later this summer, after I have finished using them, I should be able to sell the snow blower, the riding mower, the roto tiller, the pressure washer and the utility trailer.  I will have another yard sale just to sell off the tools from the shed and all the summer outdoor furniture.

Finances:
Spending- This is also a contradiction of my 2018 goals. I am spending money on new (lumber, hardware, and new blades for tools needed to complete the projects) Wherever I can save on materials by re-using old, we are making substitutes.  I am putting money into the property, which I vowed not to do, but again because of changed circumstances, I needed to replace the front and back decks because they were a liability issue before I could sell  the house. However, I was able to trade Rick's van for labour. Other people's help is what I need the most.

I continue to track what I spend on food and non-food items. I have used loyalty points this past month to buy plants, tools, primer, and the like. I received a $25 gift certificate in the mail this past week for a grocery store, after I applied as part of a class action suit. I continue to collect Optimum points when I shop at No-Frills and Shopper's Drug Mart, and I fill in Pinecone Surveys when they come to me on-line. (I receive $3 a survey, but they have not been very plentiful lately)  I am making more birthday gifts for my adult children and my parents. I made some money selling some furniture on Kijiji.

Saving- Although I have been able to squirrel away a few extra dollars each month to apply extra payments to my credit card,  I am spending more right now.

Family and Friends: Facebook messenger has made it much easier to maintain close relationships with my family. I drove up North to spend two weeks with family late in April and beginning of May. I drove to Bradford to spend a weekend with my daughter and family. I attended a lovely Mother's Day dinner with my son and his fiancee. I drove to Charleston Lake to spend a day with friends and made a Memory Book for the birthday recipient. I went out to dinner and a movie with girl friends this past week.  I talked on the phone with one of my husband's cousins, and sent a letter and sent photos to another cousin of his who is battling cancer. I am continuing a card campaign with my DIL in BC, who is now more than halfway through her cancer treatment. I made 6 birthday cards and 6 "gifts" for family members in the past month.

Health: I saw three doctors and missed one (oops1) That one has been rescheduled for this week. I saw the ENT doctor and there is nothing they can do about the loss of smell. I had a colposcopy but don't expect anything as a result of that. I saw my GP and received antibiotics for the tick bite on my back. My thyroid is good and I am still losing weight and inches, but my sugar is creeping back up. Not sure why.

Crafts and Leisure: I made two Memory books as gifts this past month. I finished the embroidered pillow slip for my son's fiancee's birthday. I "made" colour gifts and birthday cards for three male members of my family. One was a box of ALL  yellow gifts with a card that said "sending you sunshine on your birthday."  The other two gifts were boxes of ALL orange gifts with a card that read "Orange you glad it's your birthday?" So easy to do and brings a smile to the birthday boy, especially if some of those coloured gifts are snacks or chocolate. Think Reese's Pieces (orange) or M&M peanuts (yellow). Unfortunately, I don't think I took any photographs of the finished gifts. I continue to make encouragement  cards as I need them, but I still  have a healthy supply of birthday cards.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good month, overall, Susan, even if the actual goals changed as needs changed. The ability to be flexible is very important! The ability to switch gears from focusing on the vegetable garden to the flower gardgen, for example. Your new goal is to get the house ready for sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm nothing if not resilient. It seems my whole life I have had curve balls thrown at me. My psychiatrist tells me it is my greatest coping skill. I CAN change course in the middle of a stream, but I can also go with the flow. Ha. Life is not predictable and so yes, it is important to be able to recognize that and make changes as required. Thank you for the words of confidence.

    ReplyDelete