Friday, June 8, 2018

I Had Plans For This Afternoon.

Yesterday I was excited to get a text from my son that he was on his way. He didn't get that call to go in to work, so he was able to help me go through the shed and determine what to do with the stuff inside. He wasn't feeling well when he arrived so took some Tylenol. We only scratched the surface, but we did make some headway.  He took some things away with him, we carried some larger things to the "metal" pile behind the shed, and we put some things in bins to see if they would sell in another yard sale  later in the summer. If they don't sell, then they will also go into the "metal" pile.  My friend in Charleston Lake bought me a beautiful owl sculpture made from broken and rusty tools from an artist that lives near her. I told her that he could help himself to the junk pile for his inspiration and supplies. At the end of the season, I will load up the trailer and have a friend take me to the scrapyard in Napanee to turn the metal into "cash for my pocket."  At least, that is the plan.

So we worked all morning well past one. He left for home and I stopped for lunch. He hadn't felt like eating yet. I continued to carry out pieces from the house during the afternoon, changed my clothes before walking to the polling station to vote, and by this time I was very tired. Fortunately, I had some pork roast in the crock pot and so I just steamed some broccoli and cauliflower for my late dinner. I did not post a blog.

At the end of the day, my dumpster was pretty much filled. Please don't judge me. I know there are things in there that someone could have used on Freecycle. And maybe I could have sold that antique settee for a few dollars. But I have been doing this for a week and I was tired. I have owned these things for a while and never did anything with them and now I want them gone. I don't have time right now for listing things on-line. Yes maybe they would have gone in the yard sale, but if not....Then I would have to get rid of them eventually. Remember. I am basically a hoarder. You can imagine my angst at throwing these things out in the garbage. On the other hand, maybe I should have gotten rid of more.

I was up at 6:30 this morning. I remembered that the dumpster was delivered at 7 AM last Thursday, so I wanted to be here when they arrived. Well, they didn't come until 11:30 AM, so I spent a couple of hours in the backyard pulling weeds. I didn't leave for No-Frills grocers until noon.
Produce (fresh and frozen) cost me $38.67  (two frozen oriental mix veggies, 2 broccoli and cauliflower, one 2-kg. bag of imperfect blueberries, 1 Italian mix veggies, 2 large zucchini, 2 cabbage, 1 small turnip, 4-pk of sweet peppers,   English cucumber,  and 6 count bag of avocados. I like to eat a snack of sliced cold cucumber with cheese, like cheese and crackers.

Meat cost $15.81 (2 trays of chicken thighs at $2/lb. and salami

Dairy cost $19.69  I only picked up 1 dozen eggs for $2.27 because Shopper's usually sell their eggs for $1.88 a doz. on Saturday and Sunday.

Pantry cost me $8.38  More salt (I am completely out) and vinegar to make weed killer. A friend of mine told me to pick up a bag of stevia for home, and just use the box of packets for when I am out. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it is by the bag. I guess I was paying big for the convenience. My total grocery bill came to $82.56

I got home at 1:30 and made a quick lunch of tuna and cottage cheese. I felt like I was going to fall asleep so I made a cup of tea to revive me. I had plans for this afternoon. I was going to call in a prescription to the drug store. I was going to call the company that supplied the dumpster to see what the actual weight was and when I might expect the rest of my deposit back. I wanted to mow both the front and back yards and perhaps continue the weeding of the back gardens. I took one sip of my tea and slept until almost 5 PM. The spirit was strong, but the body gave up before it got out of the starter's gate. I have my veggies with cheese roasting in the oven while I am posting this. I will have leftover pork roast with that and curl up in front of the TV tonight. I don't think I will have any trouble going back to sleep. It has been a particularly busy week. I hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. My goodness, Susan, you did more than a full day's work just in the morning! And that's after putting in another full day, the day before! No wonder you fell asleep in the afternoon! I am glad you got in that nap!

    I hope your son is feeling OK, now.

    I won't judge you on what you throw out, I promise! There is only so much we can do to salvage, recycle, reuse, donate, etc. It's not easy, I know. It's better to get it out and gone.

    Well done on the shopping! You are making me wonder if I shouldn't get a few bags of frozen mixed vegetables for myself - I usually buy only the frozen peas and frozen corn and fresh vegetables for the week. But, sometimes, I don't use up all the fresh produce before they spoil...

    I hope you have a restful weekend after your busy week. I think you need that more than the lawn needs mowing and the garden needs weeding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far it has been restful. I couldn't face going out to mow the lawns today. Instead, I washed up two loads of laundry, hung it outside on the line, and have since brought it back in. I still need to fold and put away. I also made cards today. I've made my dad a Father's Day card, and a couple of masculine cards (one birthday, one encouragement card) I still haven't received word about my friend's brain surgery yesterday morning. I made 2 feminine "Thinking of You" encouragement cards. I now have 8 pieces of mail to send out on Monday morning. I need to sit down and build up my stash of cards again. It has been quite a while since my last card-making Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tremendous amount you got done even if your afternoon plans did not go like you thought! I find it helpful when my son helps me go through things, and I completely understand throwing things away instead of going through the free cycle, hard sale options. I have saved things for years that I have done nothing with so with the help of my son have just gotten rid of it! I have saved too many things thinking one day I will... and now it is time to just get it out of the house. I am going to look at more variety of frozen veggies instead of buying fresh ones that end up in the garbage instead of the dinner plate. Your drive and determination continues to inspire me! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very kind, Diana. Getting rid of things is really emotional at times, and it is so helpful to have a close friend or family member help you through the process. My sister-in-law is very patient that way. She asks a lot of questions like, "When was the last time....?" "What is the significance of hanging on to....?" and "how much time, effort, money does it cost to maintain....?" She is still allowing me to make the decision by introducing some objectivity into the equation.

    ReplyDelete