Thursday, April 11, 2019

Pondering Next Steps

I am still "working" in the kitchen. It would be nice to finish as much as I can in one room before moving on to the next. I looked over the wall in the kitchen to see how I was going to proceed with the drywall mud under the window and a few patch up jobs around the room. The gap between the sill and the top of the drywall is too big to fill with caulking and it is an outside wall. I thought I had a full can of foam insulation, but when I went to check on it, the trigger was missing. I knew I would have to buy a new one. Also, after it cures (tomorrow) I need a very sharp utility cutter. I also knew I had several of those around the house and the shed, but the blades were rusty or broken. I did not want to buy a new cutter, so I looked a little harder and eventually found some brand new blades for a very good X-acto knife that I will be able to cut plaster board. I found an old leaky pair of rubber gloves, so I knew I wouldn't have to buy disposable gloves either.

So first thing this morning, I hung the laundry I washed last night, outside in the sunshine before I proceeded to wash the kitchen counters and different parts of the wall I didn't get to yesterday. They are in very rough shape and are crying out for a new coat of paint....eventually. We never put a backsplash in our kitchen, so I was considering how I might be able to install one and what materials I might use. I also tried to figure out the easiest way to fix my window framing.....both windows actually. So today, not a lot got accomplished because there are times I need to stand back and consider the next steps.

I walked to the post office to mail out the Easter cards I prepared yesterday, and then I continued to walk to our local hardware store. I picked up the foam insulation and another tube of white caulking, for a total of $10.50.  While there I also picked up some paint swatches to look at. I'd like to keep the kitchen walls a very pale creamy yellow. Once home I used the foam insulation in as many places as I could remember that needed it. Tomorrow I can cut the dried foam back even with the plasterboard and then I will be ready to apply the first coat of mud.

While at the post office I received my Spring Sample Box. Here are the goodies that I received.

Arm and Hammer laundry detergent with Oxiclean, Clover Leaf solid chunk tuna, 3 different Nescafe coffee pods for my Keurig, Kashi bar, Sensodyne rapid relief toothpaste, Polident denture wipes and 3 G.U.M soft picks. I also got some high value coupons for a lot of the samples. Then I realized that two other coupons for free product were off camera, so.....

I added this terribly out-of-focus photo to show that I can pick up a free full-size Oxi Clean pre-treat stain remover and a 450 g smooth cottage cheese with blueberry and acai. I hope there is no added sugar, because I would really like to try this latest product. I will give away my kashi bar. I am presently waiting to hear about a new baby in the family. My niece went into labour this afternoon. Hope you all had a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Another very productive day! You are an inspiration to us all! I hope your niece had a safe delivery and both mother and baby are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No baby yet. This is a long labour. She is planning on a home delivery with a mid-wife.

      I put some drywall mud on my kitchen walls today and nailed a piece of primed 4" pine as a baseboard in my livingroom.

      Delete
  2. I would also like to get one thing completed before I move on to something else, but it is most likely not going to happen. Such is my life.
    Nice little box of stuff you got there. I hope the cottage cheese is sugar free also. I am bummed at how many things I have to put back when I look at the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I bounce around a lot. Even today, when I realised I couldn't frame out the kitchen window yet, I nailed a piece of baseboard behind my couch in the living room. I figured it was better to try and complete a task elsewhere than sit and mope about it. I need to pick up blades for my roto zip before I can proceed in the kitchen. I did get the first coat of mud on the wall however.

    ReplyDelete