Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Gardening Update

It was another bright and beautiful spring day. I know because the blackflies are out in full force. I sprayed myself all over making sure I sprayed the inside and outside of my hat, before venturing outside. I had already decided that what I accomplished yesterday was the end of my garden bed this spring. This is the size of the garden bed. So, this morning I placed down 2 more construction bags, layers of corrugated cardboard and lots of newsprint (both flyers and wrappings from recent on-line deliveries). I lay down some cinder blocks at one end and proceeded to fill the bed up with the coarsely screened topsoil. I moved some edging blocks from the front yard where they had toppled over and used them to edge the back and other side of the bed. I will have to come up with a different solution for the front yard.

I am hoping these blocks will keep the grass and weeds from encroaching into my new bed. I have not yet mixed up my triple mix to lay on top of the bed. I will do that tomorrow. But I did make up two wheel barrow loads to add to my patio containers so I could move some of the plants from my back bedroom. I will be using this bed for my veggie garden, especially the tomatoes which need several hours of sunlight. 

When I finished for the day, I came in for a second shower and a change of clothes before collapsing on the couch for a well deserved nap. 

3 comments:

  1. You definitely deserve a nice nap after all that work! Wow! I lay down one piece of corrugated cardboard in my side yard, today, and felt tired! LOL. I'm excited to see what vegetables you will be planting, Susan. Love the white picket fence, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that my whole side and back yard are fenced in. It is also a lot of painting that needs doing. There is enough outdoor work to keep me off the streets and safely at home. A friend recently remarked that I was "made for this pandemic". Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend's comment is too funny. One of my friends said that she found the perfect way to describe my life style and it was called "Quarantine"! LOL. Because I really do like to stay at home and hate to go out! :D

      Delete