Tuesday, May 19, 2020

The Holiday Weekend

I expected a lot of rain this weekend, but it never happened. In fact, we had some pretty good weather. The only real rain happened on Friday afternoon after I spent the morning screening dirt. It's a big job I am tackling, so after I came in around 1:30 to eat some lunch, I lay on the couch and fell asleep. When I awoke, I treated myself to a BIG salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, roasted chicken breast topped with my new bottle of keto Cesar salad dressing (one of my Mother's Day gifts in that box of snacks I received)

So now I will give you an update on what I am attempting to do in the garden. Those Rubbermaid bins in the photo below are filled with dirt I have already screened from the section of lawn that has the sod removed.



 Once I have removed the dirt from a section, I am laying down black plastic construction bags. On top of that I am laying down layers of corrugated cardboard and layers of newsprint. Next, I will put back the screened topsoil until all of it has been added from the Rubbermaid bins. Finally, I will mix organic garden soil, peat moss and manure and dump that on top.
As of today, I have cleared just over half the area. My screen was made with 3/4 inch hardware cloth. Now I am wishing that I bought a smaller cloth (maybe 1/4 inch would have been better, because I am still getting a lot of stone in the soil. But at least I have removed the larger roots and rocks, and there was a LOT of those. 

Saturday I worked some more in the dirt, despite the fact that it was overcast and very windy.  I came in and showered, did laundry, and Saturday night we had a rousing game of Trivia on-line. 

Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day, although still breezy; but, I did not go out. I stayed in and made cards and wrote notes to go in the mail this morning. I took a break from my back-breaking work of "sifting soil". 

Yesterday (Monday) was my Dad's 95th birthday.  Months ago we were planning a celebration of sorts, but because of covid, those plans have been postponed. But the family did get together on Messenger for birthday wishes and a virtual visit. We like to joke that on my Dad's birthday,  we celebrate by holding a national holiday and light a few fireworks. 

This morning started with making another batch of yoghurt and a tray of keto buns. I had two of those buns for lunch with lettuce, tomato, cheese and keto mayonnaise. Yum. Then back outside to play in the dirt some more. I must be getting used to it now because I didn't fall asleep when I was done. And will you look at that....it's already 10 PM and getting past my bedtime. Tomorrow is another day, so goodnight all. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, Susan, you are doing such a thorough job of preparing those beds for planting! You are going to have a completely weed free garden! Unlike someone else who simply digs a hole, plants something, and then, wonder why there are so many weeds! LOL!

    Happy belated birthday to your dad! What was the national holiday you were celebrating (besides being your dad's birthday?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My back is breaking just reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what possessed me. In my mind, I must think I am still twenty. (and still 110 pounds, ha,ha)

      Delete
  3. Victoria day was made a national holiday in 1901, after the queen died. It remains the unofficial birthday of our present queen. More importantly, it is a holiday that marks the beginning of summer for Canadians. It is a time to open the cottage, visit the nurseries to buy up plants for the gardens, fire up the BBQs, and just generally say good-bye to winter. Victoria Day is the Monday that precedes May 24th, and is rarely referred to as Victoria Day anymore. It is better known as the May two-four weekend.

    I think the job is beginning to get to me. After digging in the dirt for a couple of hours today, I reached a point where I thought that's it. I'm done. I'm not clearing any more and the garden is going to remain just this size for now. So, no more screening dirt. I will work with what I have.

    ReplyDelete