Friday, May 1, 2020

Hanging in There

Yes, I have been struggling. I've had a long history with anxiety and mood disorders, and every once in a while things begin to pile up and I have to watch for signs that tell me I need to work on my mental health. Mostly, that means I need to be left alone so I can work it out on my own, but I'm getting better.  This time it was another case of events (some anxious, some sad) falling one upon another very quickly. I was able to get outside this week and do some good hard manual labour in the yard and that usually helps me out a lot. I ordered and did a curbside pickup of 30 bags of garden soil, 10 bags of manure, and 40 pounds of cement among other things. I carried all those heavy bags to the back of the yard and proceeded to dig a 2 foot hole where I would eventually put up a new umbrella clothesline. The ground here is especially rocky so it was hard going. Today I mixed half the cement to pour into the hole with lots of stone to hold the in-ground anchor that will hold the clothesline pole. Tomorrow and all weekend is supposed to be lovely and sunny outside, so I plan to remove the sod from part of my side yard where I want to plant a garden. The last few days I have started some seeds inside for both veggies and flowers, so that by the time I have removed the rock and amended the soil, I may have some starts ready to plant.

I have ordered and I am waiting for another curbside pickup of some peat moss, potting soil, some more outdoor planters and some hardware cloth. I intend to make a screen with the hardware cloth to remove most of the rock and stone from the topsoil here, before mixing through the manure, peat moss and garden soil.  Until I get my wire cloth, I still need to rake the front lawn and lay down some more grass seed I bought to overseed the lawn. I also have to sweep down my sidewalk and driveway which is still full of winter sand and salt. There is lots to keep me busy outdoors, which is a good thing because I cannot seem to get anything done inside the house these days, except for the bare essentials.

I received another grocery delivery this week. I am definitely spending more than if I were the one doing the shopping, but I am thankful for the service.
 This week I asked for 3 cartons of 18 eggs, instead of 3 dozen. I have used up ALL of my stash of frozen eggs and need to replenish.
 Yesterday I peeled, cooked and mashed the rutabaga. I had some last night and the rest is portioned in the freezer. I also received fresh green beans and zucchini.
The whole chicken is roasting in the oven now, while the Italian sausage is packaged for the freezer. Tonight I will prepare my Trivia questions for tomorrow night's game. That is still being well received. Have a great and productive weekend everyone.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Susan! You are amazing! I wouldn't have been able to take all those bags of various items even one foot, never mind to the back yard! You are going to have one amazing garden, too!

    I'm sorry you've been struggling, but, at least, you recognize the signs and know what you need to do to take care of yourself. I hope you continue to self-care and it will get better for you. It's so easy to feel overwhelmed by everything these days. (((HUGS)))

    Glad you were able to get another delivery of groceries. Yes, we are going to have to spend more on groceries, but, I guess that can't be helped. Hopefully, once you have that lovely garden planted and you are able to harvest some fresh vegetables, it will help offset the higher grocery spending.

    Enjoy your quiz night, tomorrow, and have a lovely weekend. Take care of yourself, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad for the opportunity for physical activity that gets me outside and working hard. It is also activity that can be measured with successful outcomes. I still need that. I am glad in the end that I didn't move to an apartment last year.

    ReplyDelete