Thursday, June 23, 2016

Drive Down Main Street

I got up with the dog this morning before 7 AM and started my day early. Garbage pickup is at seven in the morning, so I made sure I took both bags out to the curb last night before I went to bed. It was also Blue Box recycling (cans, glass and plastic), so I sorted that all yesterday and took the bins to the curb after my breakfast this morning. I had two full loads for the dishwasher this morning before 11 o'clock, which means that I unloaded the dishwasher this morning THREE times. I folded and put away all the laundry that I have done this week (about four loads). I vacuumed the front room, dining room, kitchen and living room. I did not do the staircase or the hallway. I decided that the house will need a thorough clean anyways after this weekend's yard sale and everything gets taken out. I had planned yesterday to spend the afternoon trimming the front lawn; but instead, I went to bed for a nap. Oopsie. So I did that today. I also pruned back my rose bush. Yesterday morning, I worked on weeding the gravel driveway and pruning back the Forsythia bush. I started to cut the back lawn, but ran out of gas. I am waiting for my Sweetie to go fill the jerry can for me. I will use the push mower and he will drive the riding lawn mower. So I took the hoe between my rows of beans and also around my tomato and pepper plants. That will have to suffice until after the yard sale, when I can get down in the dirt and pull weeds out by the roots. Temperatures have been warming back up this week since the rain storm. By Saturday we will be back to temps in the 30s. Tomorrow I will set up as many tables as I can get along the driveway and on the front lawn in preparation of filling them early Saturday morning. My son and his GF are making up the signs.

Today on Imperfectly Frugally, Nathalie took us downtown Clermont in Central Florida. I decided I could take you all to downtown Odessa. Anyone who has been here is probably laughing out loud right about now. If you blink driving through, you will miss it. I live in a very small village about 6 minutes drive from the city limits of Kingston, so there really isn't much to see. But if I have learned anything from Nathalie, it is that there is always something to see if you just take a second look. So let's drive down the Main Street.

Our High School (grades nine through 12)

The elementary school is behind and to the right of this building, but I didn't take a photo of it. That will be for another day. Elementary grades go from Junior Kindergarten to grade eight. 

Our volunteer fire department is one of the busiest in the county because it responds to fires, medical emergencies and traffic accidents on the 401 highway. We also have an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police)  detachment in town but it is not on the Main Street. It is just feet away from both east and west exit ramps to the 401. It will be another day's walk through town. 

Next to the fire hall is our local convenience store


Our post office
The Canadian flag was at half mast today to commemorate victims of terrorism

The municipal offices  for Loyalist township reside in Odessa. This is where you pay your water and sewer bills, your property taxes, get building permits, dog licenses, hold town meetings, etc., etc.

Small grocery store


New Veterinary Clinic

Royal Bank of Canada

Home Hardware

Love this place. You can find anything in this store, and if they don't have it, they can order it for you within days. I have always loved nosing around in hardware stores. You can find the most amazing things. 

That is basically it. There is also a Retirement home, a funeral home, and three of four churches in town are on the Main Street. At the end of my block, there is C.P.'s Subs and Pizza place, a Pool Hall and a hairdresser. I told you it was tiny. But it is friendly here and we like it. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Thank you so much for taking us down your main street! How interesting. I especially love that the convenience store is called "Pop In Food Store", lol. No wondering that they might sell! The buildings are all very eclectic, which is nice. It gives it a lot of character, I think. Also love that the grocery store sells flowers and displays them on the sidewalk.
    It all looks very nice, inviting and peaceful.
    The "Loyalist Township" sign made me wonder if it was a political statement before I read your comment. Is that what the same type of building is called in all Canadian towns? Here it would be City Hall, for the most part (to pay utilities, get building permits, attend town hall meetings), or the local tax collector's office (pay property taxes) or the vet's (get your pet license, I think most people gets theirs through the vet's). Well, at least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

    I can't believe ALL that you accomplished today! You must be absolutely exhausted. Smart of you to wait until after the garage sale to finish cleaning up the house, though. I hope you have tons of people and make lots of money and get rid of most of your stuff! Are you having it only on Saturday or Saturday and Sunday? Here a lot of people have them on Fridays and Saturdays. Oh, this puts me in the mood to go to a few garage sales, but I mustn't since I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not bring more in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yard sale will only be on Saturday from 8 AM to 2 PM. Hopefully there won't be much left to take to the Thrift store afterwards.

    Most government functions in cities are in a City Hall. But in smaller centers, they are referred to as municipal or township offices. Same difference. Ha.

    ReplyDelete