Monday, June 6, 2016

Great Canadian Cheese Festival

Nathalie started one of her blog posts with a picture of a cow's head for the benefit of Tara over at Daily Delight. So I figured I could also post a picture of a cow's head. In truth, it is actually a photo I took of a water buffalo that was on exhibit in Picton at the Cheese Festival. Cheese is made from the milk of cows, goats, sheep, and yes, even water buffalo. (horns have been removed)

Water buffalo
and one of her calves. 

Inside the largest pavilion

Vendors were set up inside buildings and under huge tents. Most of the vendors were there to entice us with samplings of their cheeses, but there were also vendors there to sell cured meats, honey, lavender, wines from the Picton vineyards, jams, jellies, roasted nuts,  and chutneys. There were free samples of almost everything being offered, except the wines. "Samples" were offered for $1, which was still an incredible bargain. I didn't buy any wines this year, but I have a list of new ones to look for this summer after trying some samples. 


The plan is simple. You try to visit every table, grab a toothpick, and spear a cube of cheese you want to try. If you like it, you might make a mental note to come back to purchase later. But this year, if I loved it, I bought it right away in case I didn't get back, or worse....they ran out before I got back. Last year I bought cheese that I really wanted to buy again this year, so I was prepared for that. But I also made a decision to buy different ones again this year. 

There are a lot of great wines produced in Prince Edward county, and they were well represented here this weekend. I picked up the 2016 tour map of the wineries in case my Sweetie and I plan to go later this fall. 

This is a wonderful opportunity to try Award-winning cheeses from all over the country. 

I am very fond of cheese made from sheep's milk, though not especially from goat's milk. (I have bought some goat's cheese here that I like, because of sampling.)  We did NOT make it to every vendor this year, but we gave it our best shot. Lunch was also included with the price of the ticket, and it was award winning grilled cheese made with artisan bread. By 2 o'clock in the afternoon, laden down with all of our purchases and not wanting to look at any more cheese, we gave up the fight. Nathalie is going to be skeptical that anyone could be cheezed out in only three hours, but it is true. You have to live through this experience to know that there can be too much of a wonderful thing. 


This is what I bought this year.

In the back row, next to the 2016 wine tour map, are two small bottles of flavoured balsamic vinegars...one is cranberry pear and the other is fig. Mix a very tiny bit with extra virgin olive oil, and drizzle over salad or dip your bread into it. It tastes like heaven. In front of those, from the left is dried chorizo. This is the third year I have bought this. I LOVE it. The next five cheeses in line are from Quebec. I could stay in this pavilion the whole time. I love all the cheeses that come from this part of Canada. The French make the very best cheese. The curd is flavoured with roasted garlic and the block at the end of that line is carmelized onion. They are both Empire cheeses from Campbellford Ontario. My smoked cheese variety is cheddar from St. Alberts and from Ivanhoe Cheese, I chose a soft old cheese for spreading and a firm extra old cheddar. The second one from the left (first row) is the sheep's cheese that I had to buy again this year. It was so yummy. It wasn't until now that I realized it came from Quebec also. Should have known. 


3 comments:

  1. Gourmet cheeses, balsamic vinegars and dried chorizo?! YOU ARE KILLING ME! So what do I have to do to be invited to join you guys next year?! This might be my new motivation for a diet: lose weight so I can drive to Canada and load up on cheese next year!

    I wouldn't even know where to start in the tent. Ohhhh I want to go so badly, lol.

    So how much do you think you spent on all your goodies? And how long will they last you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent $75 including the wine samplings. How long will they last? At least the year. I still have a grilling cheese left over from last year in my freezer. Like you said, these are gourmet cheeses. When I use cheese everyday, I look for the $4 block of 400 gm Cheddar, Colby or Mozzarella. Special occasions call for special cheeses, and because they are in the freezer, only I will decide when they come out. Ha. Having said that, I should let you know that the roasted garlic curd is all gone and I broke open the fig balsamic vinegar to make tonight's salad. The chorizo will be added to some of my homemade pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my dear, have a lot of willpower. A whole year? This would last maybe... a couple of weeks in my house. MAYBE. I'd eat the pepperoni on some crusty French bread, in a sandwich. With some butter. Yum. Oh the salad with the fig balsamic vinegar sounds delicious. I'm going to have to start looking for gourmet balsamic vinegars too. And cheese festivals :)

      Delete