Friday, December 2, 2016

End of Week 1

This was another very quick appointment this afternoon. We got a call earlier in the week from Nephrology cancelling the shots of iron for 3 hours this afternoon. Though my husband's iron is low, his hemoglobin is actually quite good. So they have decided not to put him through the long transfusions. Good. His appointment for radiation was for 2:45, and by 3 o'clock we were leaving the hospital.

I spent the morning putting up more "fake" evergreen garland outdoors. I think my son and his GF are looking forward to helping me tomorrow string the lights outdoors.
Here is one of the three planters that I made earlier in the week, using branches from the yard and some red and gold embellishments I already had. I cut squares of red tulle and tied them onto dowels to stick in the dirt. There is a solar light in the centre to give some light at night. I bought the single gold star from the Dollar Tree.   
When putting up the garland, pieces continued to come off. The garlands are very old and after years of hanging outside in the elements, they are literally falling apart. Normally I throw all of those pieces out in the garbage, but this year there were so many broken pieces, that I decided to do something more constructive with them. I had an equally old wreath form, so I twisted the pieces of greenery around the wires to create a wreath that I could use on the front verandah. When I was at Michael's earlier in the week, I had hoped to pick up some more garlands since they were on sale for 60% off. I had only paid $3.49 years ago for 9 feet. Imagine my shock to discover the regular price on some of the garlands was over $70. I found some for $29.99 and with 60% off, I ended up paying only $12....only $12 for fake greenery. I bought one and will only use it indoors so that it lasts longer. 

Day 2 of my Advent calendar was a new shower pouf to go with the shower gel I got yesterday. My Sweetie got a full sized Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. There is no photo of that because he ate it before I got the camera out. *laugh*     
I emailed my sister this morning. She tells me that after writing to our provincial premier and speaking with other heads of government, it seems that she may have got a bed for our step dad in the same long-term care facility as our mother after months of being confined to the hospital in Cobourg. This is great and welcome news. He is supposed to be moved in before Christmas, but I will not be celebrating until he is actually moved there. My sister has been working tirelessly to get them together again in the same facility. I was checking with her to see if I could mail their small Christmas stocking gifts to her, just to make sure that they will be receiving them over Christmas. I am not sure at this point whether we can make the trip to see them at Christmas, as my Sweetie will be only half way through his radiation therapy and he will be going every day except the weekends. 

I will probably do a goals recap sometime this weekend. 


1 comment:

  1. Susan, your outdoor planter is lovely! And very creative use of the bits that fell off your garlands! Glad your son and his GF will help you with the lights. Your home will look very festive once you are done with your decorating.

    I am glad to hear that your husband's hemoglobin level was good enough to not need the iron transfusion. There used to be people who came in for iron when I was undergoing chemo and I know they said it took hours. (Chemo took hours, too.) I hope everything continues to be well with him and all you'll need to deal with will be the quick radiation treatments.

    Good, too, to hear that your sister was able to get a place for your step-dad in the same facility as your mother. That must make them happy and things easier for you and your sister.

    Take care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete