Thursday, December 29, 2016

Post Christmas celebrations



The last post I wrote was a week ago when I mentioned how ill my husband and I had been with our colds. I dragged myself through the grocery shopping and I got through another 2 days, miraculously. I baked those doggie biscuits, wrapped and labelled them; and I made a double batch of my homemade nuts and bolts. I made the pie dough to put together apple pies and a lemon meringue for Christmas Eve dinner. I also put my cookie dough together to make a double batch of my Jewel cookies for gift giving. I wrapped up the gift baskets and made sure all the gifts were ready for under the tree. My Sweetie and I drove off to the last radiation appointment on Friday before we could enjoy four days off from the hospital. We came home again and went straight down for a nap. I woke up long enough to call our friends in Charleston Lake to announce there would be no Christmas Eve dinner this year....first time it has ever been cancelled in over 30 years. I pretty much spent the next four days in bed. Yesterday we resumed the treatments in hospital, but again it was followed by spending the afternoon napping.


Today I have been trying to catch up on my emails, and I see where people are putting away their trees and decorations for another year. I  can't do that yet. I still have gifts undelivered, baking not finished, and I am still receiving Christmas cards in the mail. Yesterday I received a beautifully handmade card from my friend Nathalie *wink, wink. nudge, nudge*, which my Sweetie and I both enjoyed. (I would love to steal that sentiment for one of my cards.)  Our friends from Charleston Lake were taking their son to the bus station last night, as his holiday is over and he needed to get back to Toronto. They stopped in here and we just basically exchanged gifts at the door. We didn't open them until after supper and then it was Christmas all over again. The same will happen when we finally are well enough to travel to Smith Falls. We were unable to have Christmas dinner at their house this year, so we still have presents for the family. I think our festive dinners have been hot soup, toast, and ginger ale and cranberry juice. I haven't felt so rotten for years. The cough is getting a little better, but the head cold has turned to sinusitis. I am still needing lots of rest, and I feel very weak and draggy. I worked too hard for Christmas to be over already, so I shall enjoy having my decorations stay up for a little while longer.
The "snowman" is actually 3 presents I wrapped in white paper and decorated with googly eyes, buttons and a red ribbon to look like a snowman. I like my presentation to be fun.
For those of you wondering about my Advent calendar, I actually had 25 days of gifts to unwrap;
Day 23 was a very pretty nail polish and Day 24 was strawberry body butter.

Day 25, Christmas Day, turned out to be a sleep mask and rejuvenating serum.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you guys were so sick over the holidays! You might have overdone it with your preparations and then the virus took advantage of your fatigue?! I'm glad you're better, although sinusitis is no fun either. Poor Susan and Mr. Sweetie!

    I'll be putting my Xmas stuff away on Monday. I have the Xmas lights on the mantelpiece on right now. It seems a little silly but since they're still up...

    I've enjoyed watching you open your Advent calendar(s) from afar. What a great idea from your kids! I might whisper that idea to my daughter for next year, ha!

    Did I understand an earlier post that your son and GF who are living with you and were going to build something on your property will be moving into an apartment instead? Were they still at home to help with the pets and feed you hot soup when you were so sick?

    Middle Son is doing the opposite, he's in the middle of moving from his apartment back into his dad's house. I wonder how long they'll stand one another. My daughter is thinking about living with her dad while she's in college too starting next year. I know that his stepdaughter lives at home and it sounds like the stepson might be moving back too... I'm kind of glad we don't live close to a college, ha. I might change my tune next year and especially when Youngest Son goes to college himself.

    I put SO MUCH work into your Christmas card, could you tell? I thought it was hysterical that we got a beautiful handmade card from you on the day that I had mailed mine with my little note to you! Greg couldn't get over the fact that you had MADE the card. He kept on asking me how you did it.

    I hope you both feel better soon, be careful on the roads. ((HUGS())

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I really didn't go overboard with preparations, as I usually do so much more. However, under the circumstances, I should have done even less. I kept reminding myself that it was okay to let things go, but there was still this "need" to try and do as much as possible to keep things as "normal" as possible. I did not want my husband's cancer to take centre stage this year. I wanted Christmas to be the same as always, but with only half the number of hours in a day, I quickly ran out of time. His appointments took up huge amounts of time. Even yesterday, with two appointments scheduled, we were away at 11:30 and didn't get back until 4:30. It just knocks the stuffing out of you. So in that regard, you are absolutely correct. The virus took over because we were simply worn out.

      Yes you are also correct about my son and his GF moving out of here into their own apartment. They actually took possession yesterday, and as soon as we got home from town at 4:30, they loaded up our van and took a bunch of stuff in. I think they have a truck reserved for tomorrow on New Year's Eve. I am happy for them to have their own place, but I think I am happier to have my own place back. I am very keen to reclaim my rooms and storage areas. January and February are going to be busy months as I purge and do Spring Cleaning with a vengeance. Ha.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to read that you were feeling so ill over Christmas! Glad to hear that you are on the mend now. Please, please take it easy and rest! Wish you and your Sweetie a Happy New Year. May you both be blessed with good health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite all your warnings to slow down and take care of myself, I still got sick. But at least I was stopped in my tracks and forced to take it easy. It was still a lovely Christmas however. We will reschedule all those Christmas dinners until later, and stretch out those festivities well into the New Year.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you were sick, although I am happy that you are feeling better. Since I traveled in December I ended up not decorating too much this year, but I always leave my decorations up until Epiphany. That's the end of the actual 12 days of Christmas, anyway! ;) I hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve and a lovely start to 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I will probably leave my decorations up until Epiphany, at least. Ha. The truth of the matter is that I have still been too ill to deal with it. We were looking forward to the New Year's Eve celebrations last night, but we had to bow out because we were still both too sick. We were both in bed by 9 PM. But I still hold out hope for a terrific 2017. Happy New Year to you and I wish you good fortune with your many goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry that you're both still so sick! Have you been to the doctor's yourself?

      Delete
  5. Susan, I meant to comment on your snowman stack of gifts and forgot! It is so cute! I hope you don't mind if I steal this idea?

    ReplyDelete