Sunday, December 10, 2017

Getting Things Done


Bless from My Two Cents got me thinking today. She was expressing in words what my feelings have been over the past few days. She didn't feel like she had accomplished much over her Saturday, but she got a LOT done. Yes, I have been making similar comments. The items on my To-Do List are not coming off very quickly but I seem to be exhausted at day's end and feeling quite accomplished with everything that is getting done. I call this "retreating and regrouping". Looking back at my past week, it took a long time for me to arrange getting the water in the basement looked after; but besides getting the job done, I also have fixed the eaves trough at the back of the house and the JUNK in the basement is pretty much gone. All that is left now are pieces of wood that will go into the dumpster in the Springtime. Then I can sweep, vacuum and perhaps even paint the cement walls and floor so the cellar isn't so creepy anymore. I have lightened the basement AND  my well-being. When I started to tidy the computer room, I ended up doing a very thorough job of sorting and consolidating tools and hardware so that I know what I have and how to find it. I no longer feel overwhelmed by the ton of stuff in the cupboards. Today's tidy of my work desk turned into a whole morning. I printed out four pages of birthday card sentiments and placed them in page protectors in a binder reserved for my card making. How does that have anything to do with getting ready for Christmas? It doesn't, except that I was able to throw out several scraps of paper that I was saving in various parts of the desk. My sentiments are all in one place where I can easily find them, and I was able to clean up some computer files at the same time.  I feel good about it. What did I do today? I cleaned off my desk (but much, much more than that).

 Yesterday I took some time for myself by colouring my hair and giving myself a pedicure. I soaked my feet in a warm solution of water, vinegar and Listerine (a recipe I found on-line) before using a pumice stone on the soles of my feet. I clipped my nails and pushed back the cuticles before slathering on a good amount of Avon foot creme under a warm fuzzy pair of socks. It was luxurious and also a great way to save money. When I worked,  I paid for the occasional pedicure and manicure. My aesthetician used Avon foot creme and swore by it. I did up two loads of laundry, set up the Christmas tree, and did some quick vacuuming before my son and his fiancee came for dinner. I roasted more chicken breasts as well as carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in olive oil and cajun seasoning mix. They have set up their wedding website here. Check it out.

So going back to read this week's goals,  they were listed as cleaning and decorating, putting up the Christmas Tree, and perhaps some Christmas baking. Well I decorated, but the cleaning is on-going well into this coming week. The tree is put up but not decorated yet. That would be a good job for while I watch Netflix tonight after supper. The only baking I have done is another batch of dog biscuits that are still in the oven cooling down. Satchel has not run out of biscuits yet, but I would really like not having to bake any more before Christmas now. I have little gift bags of treats in the freezer for when I see my other dog friends this season. So my goals for this coming week are the same as last week's, and I will not be stressing out about what I HAVE to do. I CHOOSE to do these preparations, but mostly I will just enjoy what I have accomplished.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, your "What did I do today? I cleaned off my desk (but much, much more than that)." is EXACTLY what is going on, here, too! Today, I "cleaned my kitchen" which involved accidentally breaking a glass while I was cooking dinner and led to wiping the counters and the stove (shards of glass everywhere!), sweeping the floor, taking the trash out, putting away dried dishes, and washing more dishes! It wasn't even on my list of things to do! :D

    Your pedicure sounds wonderful - I've been meaning to have one, myself, but haven't got to it, yet. Maybe tomorrow.

    I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I know exactly what you are saying. That must have been exhausting.

      Delete