Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year's Eve

I usually leave my Christmas decorations up until Epiphany, but today I decided that I wanted them all down and put away. So that is how I spent my day. I have the Christmas linens in the wash with the rest of my laundry, except for the tablecloth. It won't hurt to leave it out for a while longer., as I will also be using my winter china for another month anyways.  And I have moved my lighted picture of candles and pine cones to a wall in the living room where I can still enjoy the sparkly lights for a little while longer. The cards are still strung across the walls in the dining room where I can enjoy them a while longer. I have not dusted or vacuumed or put my every day decor out, so the walls and tables are looking quite bare.

I didn't post on my blog yesterday because I was reading over my last year's entries to get a feel of what I wanted to accomplish and how I did overall. Well as you can imagine, it probably wasn't the best idea I have had. I had a lot of things I wanted to accomplish and I started out well, but my life was sidelined abruptly. I may not have accomplished what I set out to do, but it was an incredible year of learning to do on my own. It was also a wonderful year of family and friends who got me through difficult times. If reading through the blog posts from the past year wasn't already depressing me, I then turned my attention to looking over my budget. There are definitely changes to be made. By the end of the day, I was not in good shape to be writing down goals and plans for the New Year. I will leave that for this first week of 2018. Instead, I will write about past New Year's Eve nights.

My husband was born into a family who emigrated here from Scotland. Christmas was NOT a big thing. The kids (when they were very small) got a few presents from Santa, but mainly it was considered a Holy Day. Rick really didn't have any fond memories of Christmas when I first met him, but I got to change all that after we were married. New Year's Eve was the BIG deal among his Scottish relatives. When he became a teenager, he was often the one who was called upon to "first foot" all of his relations. The "first footer" had to be a tall, dark handsome man, and Rick fit the bill. He would have to stand outside before the clock struck midnight and wait until after everyone had finished bringing in the New Year with hugs and kisses and singing of "Auld Lang Syne". Then he had to knock and be invited in over the threshold. He had to have money in his pocket and a bottle (usually whiskey) in his hand as a gift to the host. He would be poured a drink and they would toast in the New Year. From there they would go to the next relatives house and repeat. I know there were times when family was forbidden to enter a house because they had not been "first footed" yet. It was bad luck to let in a woman or (heaven forbid) a man with red or blond hair before you were "first footed".

But that wasn't the only quirky thing that his family did at New Year's. There was major cleaning and redecorating going on the week before, and especially the day of New Year's Eve. There could be no unfinished housecleaning or laundry. If Rick's Gran had a cup of tea at 11:45, she not only had to wash out  the tea cup and teapot and put them away, but she also had to rinse out the dishcloth and towel she used to clean up her tea things. The table had to be laden with food. There were usually new draperies on the windows and brand new sheets, blankets, and towels laid out. You saved your money all year to buy all these new things for New Year's Eve.  These superstitious rituals were very important to ensure prosperity through the year. After Gran died, it seemed most of the revelry died with her, but Rick's mom still insisted that Rick should "first foot" her house until she passed away. Tonight will be just another night for me. I will not be staying up to greet the New Year, but tomorrow my son, his fiancee and myself are invited out for an afternoon dinner  at Charleston Lake with dear friends of ours. My very best wishes to a Happy, healthy 2018. Stay safe everyone.
 

6 comments:

  1. THere have been so many changes for you this past year, Susan! I can imagine that sitting down to take it all in in one go was overwhelming.

    I really loved hearing about the "first footed" tradition and how important it was to your husband's family. We don't have a ton of traditions around New Year's or Christmas, but one thing that your post reminds me is that traditions can be made and changed at any time. I hope you have a lovely dinner with your family and friends tomorrow. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Laura. It was a great New Year's Day and a wonderful Christmas season overall. I have not yet commented on any of your recent blogs, but I am working on it, as in.....I have been reading them but haven't had time to sit down and respond to them yet.

      Delete
  2. Ditto what Laura said.

    So Rick was tall, dark and handsome, eh? Lucky lass you are. My Greg is shorter than me, was blond but yes, he is handsome. I always had a weakness for tall, dark and handsome but I never had all 3 in a partner, lol.

    I can say very honestly that I'm glad we weren't Scottish! This is the first time I have heard of any of those traditions and, while fascinating, I find them so strange too! So did you stand outside with Rick all those years while everyone else was indoors and ringing in the New Year? Or were you given cleaning duties as midnight grew close?

    Our New Year's celebration when I was growing up was having a huge family meal if my grandparents were in town, but they usually came for Christmas so oftentimes my mom would invite friends of hers over and the adults would sit and eat and drink for hours while we children we expected to sit at the table and listen politely. At least that's the way I remember it. We got "les etrennes", which is money usually given to the children by adult relatives, but by the time I was a child, that tradition had fallen by the wayside in my family, for the most part. I didn't keep that tradition for my kids either, although I did give $20 to my daughter today but without even having remembered about "les etrennes".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't stand outside with him. We would arrive earlier in the evening, and while I got to stay inside where it was warm, Rick had to don his parka and go stand outside just before the stroke of midnight and STAY outside until we had finished singing Auld Lang Syne. Poor guy. I guess that was the price he paid for being tall, dark and handsome.

      Delete
  3. (((HUGS))) Susan. This past year was a very difficult one for you. I know that, for me, the first New Year without my mother was very difficult. I couldn't even bring myself to go to my aunt's annual New Year lunch. I remember calling my aunt to tell her I wasn't coming and I was crying on the phone. It takes time for the hurting to lessen.

    The Scottish New Year traditions are very interesting. One of my cousin's is married to a Scot, but I don't know if they follow any of the traditions.

    I hope you spent a good New Year's Day with your son and friends. May this new year be a better one for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the traditions were carried on here because Rick's family emigrated when they were adults and nearly all of the relations stayed in Kingston. Once one of the family came over, then the rest of the family (uncles, aunts, cousins)decided to emigrate here.

      Yes, I had a most wonderful New Year's Day, thank you.

      Delete