Tuesday, December 19, 2017

My Christmas Grocery Shopping Adventure

Yesterday I managed not to go anywhere or do any housecleaning. I am the Queen of Procrastination. When I want to avoid doing something, I am the Master. But if I don't accomplish something, then I feel really guilty and lousy. So this is what I did. My dining room table was in need of repairs. All of the bolts that hold the table top to the pedestal (8 in all) had become loose and fallen out. There was actually nothing holding the tabletop on. I couldn't slide the table across the floor or even open it up to put in one of the table leaves. So this job was actually a priority over vacuuming.....if you think about it.  AGAIN, because of the super duper job I did last week in sorting all the hardware, I was able to find 8 bolts that would fit the job. I used the hammer and a block of 2X2 wood to hammer the heavy tabletop so I could line up the bolts with the holes in the frame. It took a lot of time but job accomplished. I put in an extra leaf and covered the table with one of my Christmas tablecloths. *patting myself on the back*
 Then I changed out my every day dishes....
 for my festive Christmas dishes.

Which brings us to today. I still didn't feel like going upstairs to vacuum. The temperature was very mild and the roads were clear, so I decided to take advantage and get a major shopping done. I went to three stores. In the morning I went to the Giant Tiger in Napanee. I came home and put those away and ate the last of my beef vegetable soup I made at the end of last week.I dropped into the Post Office on my way to Amherstview and picked up my mail (which I did not pick up yesterday) and found 7 cards. One of them was from my good blogging friend Nathalie. It was gorgeous and it crossed my mind that it may have been handmade (??) because it had stitching on it. I shopped at Foodland and Shoppers's Drug Mart before I returned home. The sky got very dark and it looked for a while like there was going to be a change in the weather.  I spent a total of $135.82 at all 3 stores, including tax. This is the breakdown.
Dairy cost 31.28  Eggs are up in price again to $2.49 a dozen, but I got deals on everything else including ice-cream to go with dessert Christmas Eve. 
Meat totaled $44.42  The Sugardale bacon was only $2.99 a pkg., so I picked up 3. The frozen chicken fillets were 50% off, so I just paid $5 I picked up turkey breakfast sausage, Polish sausage and smoked sausages. I also bought 4 lbs. of lean ground hamburger.

Produce cost me $29.48  I am not allowed corn, but I will be serving it over the holidays. The tins were on sale for 99 cents each. I bought 2 heads of cabbage, a bag of sweet potatoes, a bag of rutabaga, more yellow onions, zucchini, a bag of mandarins, orange juice for Christmas brunch, some chopped walnuts in case I decide to do some baking, and a frozen bag of Asian veggies to make a chicken stir fry tonight.
 I will make my own gravy but I bought a can of beef gravy in case I run low. I had to buy another jar of olives because I ate the last jar I bought. (I am allowed those for snacks). I wonder what I can make with red and green Rice Krispies and marshmallows?
One 12-pack of Coke and 2 12-packs of Diet Pepsi for the holidays, plus the pantry items that you see pictured up top came in at $28.04

I guess the vacuuming will have to be done tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Your table looks so nice with your Christmas tablecloth and your pretty Christmas dishes! Kudos to you for getting it all fixed on your own and boy, wasn't that great that you spent all that time organizing your hardware last week, even though it was emotionally challenging? You're doing so well and your Christmas preparations are well on the way. I'd personally wait until the last minute to vacuum so the house is nice and clean when the guests come in and I don't have to do it twice. But that's lazy me, hmmm Strategizing Me talking...

    I'm so glad you didn't venture out in the snow yesterday. You got all your shopping done in one day today and it was tiring I'm sure but so much easier when the weather is milder.

    And I guess I fooled you... alas it's not a homemade card. I was thinking about making one just for you as a surprise but Strategizing Me (again) decided to watch TV and eat bonbons instead so I picked a pretty one from my stock. Maybe next year? Hope springs eternal. Plus any card made by me would completely pale in comparison to yours so why even bother? Ha.

    Hmm, rice krispie treats! I always say I'm going to make some and then I eat the marshmallows out of the bag so the treats never get made. But no one seems to be missing them either.

    I managed to forget to make the cookie doughs again today so I put the butter back in the fridge. Maybe my daughter will make them for me tomorrow. She asked whether I'd been using my Kitchen Aid mixer that she helped Greg pick last Christmas because she really wants one of her own. I think she was hoping I'd say "no, I don't use it, take it!" lol. So she might enjoy using it herself while she's here. I have to go do my own grocery shopping tomorrow so I'll be exhausted after that. No vacuuming for me until probably Friday, although I really ought to be more assiduous with it since we're still dealing with fleas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about needing to vacuum again, but I only plan on doing the downstairs this weekend. I don't want to have to vacuum the bedrooms and the staircase again. The sooner I get it done, the sooner I can scratch it off my list.

      You SHOULD make your cards next year. Anything homemade is absolutely wonderful at Christmastime. In fact, I have received four homemade Christmas cards so far this year. I love them. The one you sent me was so simple, yet gorgeous....a sparkly foam sticker star with some gold stitching. You could even replicate the card with faux stitching with a pen, and send them out to everyone next year. Wouldn't that knock their socks off?

      Rice Krispie treats are one of my traditional "recipes" at Christmas.....those and thumbprint cookies, called Jewels because the centres are filled with red, green or gold jelly fillings.

      Delete
    2. Well I only sent 2 cards this year: one to you and one to my great aunt. So I suppoooooooooose that I could try to make you a homemade card next year, but no promises :) Maybe I'll commission my daughter, lol. Oh yes, I remember your Jewel cookies from your past Christmas posts. They looked delicious! I'm not even sure what cookies we'll make. I'd like to think "a lot of different kinds" but I think I'll run out of steam after 2 different kinds. My daughter will decorate the sugar cookies. She really enjoys doing that. I enjoy eating the cookies, mostly :)

      Delete
  2. You had a very productive day. I, too, seem to accomplish much when I am procrastinating on something! :) Good job fixing the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I felt really good about fixing something on my own. One little success builds your confidence level up tenfold.

      Delete