Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Chillaxing at Home

 Here is a picture I took after the first snowfall on Friday. I went outside to shovel snow after the storm and the traffic was quiet. It is usually very peaceful at night and a good time to shovel snow.

Then Saturday, it snowed again. I wanted to deliver my friend gifts that day, but didn't dare venture out in the car.  I was able to walk over to a neighbour's house to deliver their cheese and crackers, but that was it. It snowed all day and I was able to shovel some of it at the end of the day, but there was even more snow than what I had moved the day before. (I didn't take any more photos after that first snowfall) I did some cleaning and prepared the turnip for the next day's meal.
Sunday was Christmas Eve, so I started my day again by going outside to finish the driveway and I moved my car ahead so a car could park behind me. I have a big double driveway that can hold 4 cars. It is a lot to shovel. I came inside to prepare our Christmas Eve dinner. I was expecting 6 people to come for  roast beef, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower, and corn. My son came early to make an apple crisp with almond flour and Splenda brown sugar, so that I could partake. I also had a tray of home baking (some that I made and some that my son's fiancee brought with her) and vanilla ice cream. We had our gift exchange afterwards. I have to show you one of my gifts. You will remember how I told you I fell in love with the garden sculptures in Perth this Spring at "Art in the Garden"?

My friend commissioned an artist to make this owl for me. The body is a spade, the head is a large saw blade, the wings are the tines of a leaf rake, the beak is part of tin snips, the eyes are slices of a galvanized pipe, the talons are garden cultivators, etc., etc. Isn't he adorable? He is hanging in my living room right now, but may move out to my fence or the front of my shed in the Spring.

We had a lovely evening together, My friends left for home and my son and his fiancee stayed overnight. During the night we had the third and worst snow storm of all. We were quite literally snowed in. We opened our  gifts to each other, and I opened the gifts I had received from the rest of my family.
 I will show you some of my gifts over the next few days, but here is another one that I have to show you right away, because it has been keeping me busy the last two days trying to set everything up. It is an android tablet from my son and DIL in Vancouver which will allow me to do face time with my grandchildren through Facebook messaging. I am having to learn how to set up the different functions that are available. My next task will be to figure out how to set up Blogger so that I can take it with me on my Cruise.

After the gifts were opened, I made a breakfast of bacon, home fries, toast and omelets. My son's fiancee brought muffins as well. Afterwards, it took several hours to clear my son's car from the driveway. They had to go into Kingston to her family's place to spend Christmas Day. Once they were finally on their way, I was able to back into the spot their car had occupied so that I could finally leave myself for Smith Falls. I didn't get to my brother's place until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I didn't stay over. I came back here that night because of the dog. There was some drifting of snow across the highway; but fortunately it was localized around Kingston and not Smith Falls, so the drive was not too bad.

Yesterday I crashed. I slept for hours in the afternoon and then got busy learning all about my android tablet. My family has quite the time dragging me into the 21st century....first Netflix, then a very simple cell phone and now a tablet. Good Grief! What next?

 This morning at 7:45, I was awakened by the sound of the road workers removing the snow banks alongside the highway. Yay! There wasn't anywhere to put any more snow, so we are so glad the job got done.It has also got very cold. This morning, it was -22 degrees Celsius. Brrr.  I trust you all had a wonderful holiday and I anxiously await your news.

4 comments:

  1. That... is a lot of snow! Where do you get the energy to do all this shoveling?! Is that an innate superpower that you get from being Canadian?! Just shoveling like once would do me in and then you came in and did more stuff! I guess spreading all that gravel this summer really conditioned you for the summer!

    I absolutely love that owl. What a thoughtful and wonderful gift from your friend who commissioned it for you! That's how special you are, you don't get just any gift off the rack. Ha! The rack. Get it? I didn't even mean to make it a pun :) Seriously, though, I envy you your owl, it's wonderful.

    And a new tablet from your Vancouver kids/grandkids! You're gonna have so much fun being able to video calls with your grand kids!

    I'm glad you were safe on the roads. I'm sorry it's so cold, though. Brrr. Do you ever get used to it? Does the dog mind having to do his business outside when it's that cold? Or do you use puppy pads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No super powers required *laugh*. As long as you dress warmly and take lots of breaks, it is actually fun to move the snow (until you have to do it 3 times in as many days). You have to take your time though, as some people have heart attacks by exerting themselves too hard, like anything else. The temperatures have been extremely cold. Yesterday was wicked, but today is much warmer at only -18 degrees Celsius. Ha.
      The dog loves the snow, but even HE finds the cold temperatures hard to take. He goes outside on a leash with me to do all his business.

      Delete
  2. What lovely gifts from your family and your friends! You certainly got your exercise shoveling all that snow! It was 84F here, today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is great exercise in moderation. You have to be fit in order to clear snow. Otherwise, you have to hire someone else to do it for you.

    ReplyDelete