Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Well, I finally did it. After reading my email, commenting on blogs, frying up a head of cabbage and all three packages of bacon for the freezer, I felt I had tried to get away from the dusting and vacuuming long enough. I bit the bullet and carried the machine upstairs and got the bedrooms, hallways and staircase done. It didn't take much time at all. It is only vacuuming for goodness sake. I still have to get both bathrooms washed, but that shouldn't take long either. It is the half bath downstairs that most people use. I have already cleaned it and it will only need to be refreshed again on Sunday.

I went out for just a short drive today to buy some garbage tags, pick up my mail, and a quick run to the local cheese factory. I like to make up a cheese basket for one of my neighbours  every Christmas. He was a great friend of Rick's and she is my Avon lady. They don't read my blog so I will show you how I make it.
It isn't a basket at all. I place some hunks of cheese across the top of 2 boxes of crackers and tie it all together with cellophane and ribbon. This year while I was purging, I ran across this cheese knife that I got once as a promotion. Instead of getting rid of it at the Thrift Store, I thought it might be a nice addition to the cheese basket this year. Ha. Let them get rid of it.

I feel like I didn't really accomplish too much today. Once I buckled down and got the upstairs done, I felt I could coast for a while. I did make up my dinner casserole though. I chopped some onion and zucchini, added some cherry tomatoes, cauliflower and broccoli from the freezer, topped with yoghurt and mozzarella cheese and four big smoked sausages. It will be dinner tomorrow night as well. It is in the oven right now and will be ready momentarily. Then I will settle in front of the TV to watch some Netflix. I have finished Longmire and have just started another BBC production called "Hinterland".  I will sit in front of my tree and lighted window and feel all Christmas... y. I can't enjoy my outdoor lights from where I sit inside, but I can enjoy the window.



5 comments:

  1. You did plenty! I think the cheese "basket" is a lovely idea and I laughed at your comment of letting them get rid of the cheese knife, lol. Great idea! Is this the gentleman who is undergoing cancer treatment?

    You don't say that you loved Longmire but since you finished it, I'm guessing that you did. So that's you and Nan, on top of everyone else on Reddit. Boy, I really need to buckle down and try to watch some more of it. I started Hinterland but I don't think I finished it and I don't remember it.

    Your festive window is so pretty. Isn't that amazing what a few white Christmas lights will do? Enjoy your relaxing evening, you have earned it. I hate vacuuming. And carrying the vacuum upstairs is the pits. Mine is super heavy and the one I keep upstairs (my old one) doesn't have much vacuum suction. So I keep avoiding to vacuum up there. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheese basket is going to a couple who live here in the village. Rick made his coffee here every morning and then drove down to his friend's place to drink it there at his place. He usually came back all wound up because "his friend didn't know what he was talking about". It amused me to no end. They would have these "pissing contests" (pardon my language), where they each knew the best way to do something and the other was a complete moron. I don't know why they got along so well, except that they were BOTH stubborn know-it-alls.

    The friend who is battling cancer lives out of town. He still has a relatively young family (he and his wife have fostered kids their whole adult lives). I am giving them the 3 foot long box of chocolate covered biscuits I showed you a couple of weeks back.

    Yes, I loved Longmire. My husband and I watched every single episode together, so I was thrilled when the newest season was released. It is also the last. I enjoyed it very much. I think I know you well enough that I don't think you will enjoy Hinterland. It moves very....slowly. (long gazes over the Welsh countryside) The half hour plot is stretched into an hour and a half episode...but I will finish it. There are only 2 seasons, and I enjoy anything made by the BBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story about Rick and his friend made me smile :)

      I hope your friend who has cancer wins his battle. How hard it must be for his family too.

      So I pulled up Hinterland in my Netflix queue and I hadn't rated it... and it looks like I only played maybe a minute of the first episode so I'm thinking I started it, Greg made some remark and I decided to turn it off and that I'd watch it when he wasn't home and then I forgot about it. So I shall have to remember to try it again.

      I thought there was a BBC show I watched recently and that I loved but I can't remember what it was!

      Delete
  3. Yay, you got your vacuuming done! I love the cheese basket idea! I am going to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go right ahead and "steal" my idea of a cheese basket. As well, home-baked goods make a very thoughtful gift, especially for those working families who don't always have the time to do holiday baking. I have, in the past, bought dollar store serving plates on which I have placed cookies, nuts in the shell, quick breads, candies and small clementines and wrapped in cellophane and ribbon with a little Christmas ornament hanging from the gathers. It makes a beautiful presentation and is very inexpensive to make up.

    ReplyDelete