Thursday, December 21, 2017

Some Christmas Baking


Do Rice Krispie Squares and Chocolate Haystacks count towards "baking Christmas treats"? Because that is some of what I did today. I really didn't want to go back to the store to pick up more holiday baking ingredients, so I sat down with some of my favourite recipes to figure out what I could make with what I had. I was also looking for treats that I could serve to my vegan daughter. If the weather allows, she is planning on coming here with my two grand children for at least one sleepover during Christmas week. I don't know if her husband is coming or not, as he is a shift worker.












Here is a pan of Rice Krispie squares setting up in my fridge.  You are probably wondering why I decorate the inside of my fridge with a snowman baker. Well it was a Christmas gift to us a few years ago from the couple that I am giving the cheese basket to. It is a talking snowman that is activated by the fridge light coming on every time you open the door. He has about 5 or 6 different phrases. He's so cute and adorable. I love him.
 After I cut the squares, I wrap them individually in saran wrap. These are not vegan, but I like to make them at Christmas for my grand children and to put on the cookie tray. I haven't met anyone yet that doesn't like these.

I made a batch of chocolate haystacks using vegetable shortening, cocoa, sugar, vanilla and soy milk. These are vegan. I was supposed to mix in oatmeal and coconut, but because I didn't have any coconut, I substituted slivered almonds. I won't have any trouble giving these away either. I didn't have to bake these either. I just dropped the mixture by spoonfuls onto wrappers from cereal boxes. They just peel right off.
Another vegan cookie recipe are these Cranberry Oatmeal cookies made with vegan margarine (no egg) with cranberries, bits of dried apricot and walnuts. These are yummy and if there is a way to make a vegan recipe so that everyone can enjoy, then I will choose that,  because no one is able to tell the difference. This recipe makes over 5 dozen cookies. I didn't have a full cup of cranberries so I added the chopped apricot to make up the difference and then decided to add walnuts (which was optional).

The last item I baked is called Walnut Marmalade loaf. These are wonderful to gift and make a nice citrusy sweet bread to serve with coffee or tea on Christmas morning while opening the stockings. I will also make a Banana, Cherry, Chocolate Chip mini loaf tomorrow; but first, I will have to go to the  store to pick up some more baking soda. Drat! I thought I could get away with not having to go out again.


5 comments:

  1. Oh yum, everything looks so good! You had your own baking marathon, oh my gravy.

    And yes, I did notice the Christmas baker and planned on asking you about it. I thought that maybe you were trying to make your picture more holiday-like, lol. He speaks when you open the fridge's door?! What a hoot! Does he tell you to step away from the sweets and carbs and close the door? That's what I need for... every room in my house!

    Are your grandchildren vegan too? You know, I'm selfishly very happy that none of my kids are vegetarian or vegan so far, because that's a lot more work to have to get the proper ingredients, make sure to omit the others, etc. My brother from Paris is vegetarian but his wife isn't so she was commiserating with me when I was visiting a couple of years back that it was hard for her to cook for two so she had decided to try to eat like him as much as she could but that she really missed a good steak once in a while.

    Today, after we ate our treats, I told Greg that next year I really needed to lose a lot of weight so he said "maybe we should become vegan!" (a joke because Greg will be the last carnivore on the planet when we'll all turned to eat twigs and grass) but I pointed out that there are fat vegans so becoming vegan won't make us lose the weight just by the fact that we don't eat meat or use leather. I shall need to show him your pictures of vegan baking so he gets it. Ha.

    I really want one of your rice crispy squares right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, my little baker snowman does not tell anyone to step away from the food. In fact, he enables people to eat lots. "I-i-i-it's snack time". and "There's lots of yummy treats in here", and "Come on in and take a look inside", and others.
      No my grand children and my son-in-law are not vegetarian, but they do eat healthy with lots of vegetables. I think my daughter has a difficult time herself with handling raw meat, but she will cook dinner for the kids, especially things like breaded chicken or fish in the oven. The kids really don't like eating red meat. I know what you mean about fat vegans though. I am always amazed at so-called vegetarians who do not like vegetables. What do they eat? Chips and ice-cream?
      I did some more baking. I can't wait to see what you and your daughter prepared.

      Delete
    2. Loved the baker snowman sly come-ons and giggled at your "Chips and ice cream?" snarking :)

      Delete
  2. Yum is exactly right! Your rice krispy treats look so tempting! Hope your daughter and grand kids are able to visit you and have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they can come too, but if the weather is snowy or icy, I don't want them here. There will be other times to visit. This may be a very snowy winter.

      Delete