Monday, December 18, 2017

Daybook: Monday, Dec. 18/17

Outside my window.....the snow is softly falling. It is milder today than it has been over the last few days.

I am thinking.....about doing some baking for the holidays, even if just for the company I am expecting. I feel a little guilty about not doing any just because I won't be eating any. I can always send it home with other people.

I am thankful for.....friends and family, always.

From the kitchen.....I haven't done any preparation this past weekend, but I suddenly realized yesterday that I don't have as much in my freezer as I thought I had. I fried my last pork chops last night with a plate of zoodles for dinner. I am out of chicken, sausage and ground meat. I will probably have the last of my buttered cabbage tonight with some kielbasa that I was holding onto for the cheese plate. Today or tomorrow when I go out for groceries, I will pick up some more. If I cannot get out for groceries for a few days, I certainly will not starve. I do have an extra beef roast besides the one I am saving for Christmas Eve, and I still have lots of eggs to make a fritatta.  As well, I have lots of frozen veggies. I regret sometimes not being able to eat beans, grains, or anything made with flour, but I am accepting my new way of eating.

I am wearing.....black leggings, black socks, and a blue long sleeved T-shirt.

I am creating.....absolutely nothing the past few days. I have been busy dusting, vacuuming and washing up.

I am going.....to the Post Office later today. I may not go grocery shopping today because of the snow.

I am hoping.....to get the vacuuming done upstairs today.

I am hearing..... the blower on the furnace and the sound of the plow and sander going by.

Around the house.....things are getting tidied. Yesterday I cleaned, vacuumed and washed the living room, the downstairs hallway, and the main bathroom floor upstairs.

One of my favourite things....is my enjoyment of  the lights on the tree and around the living room window as I sit on the couch in the evenings while watching Netflix.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include going to the Wilton cheese Factory to pick up some different cheeses, and to a grocery store to do a major grocery shop. I need to  deliver my gifts and gift baskets to some of my friends. I will fry up some bacon for the freezer. I can peel, chop and pre-cook the turnip for Sunday night. Maybe I can do a little baking??

Here's a picture I am sharing.....

These are little gifts that I received last week in two of my Christmas cards. I love the snowflake made by cutting out snowmen and evergreen trees. How cute is that? And another card held a scratch lottery ticket. I didn't win anything (though I was very close), but I always have so much fun playing the game. This is so much more fun than JUST scratching off the playing field.

4 comments:

  1. It's so weird to think that it's snowing at your house right now and here I have the windows open and I'm thinking that I need to turn the AC on before the evening so the upstairs gets cooled down for the night!

    I baked cookies and I'm baking rolls right now and put a whole pound of butter out to soften to make more cookie doughs later on so my daughter and/or I can bake later on in the week. I could lie and say I'll try not to eat any rolls or cookies but I won't.

    I don't remember you talking about visiting the cheese festival with your brother and SIL this year. Did you? I wish we had a cheese factory nearby! I bought Stilton cheese from Trader Joe's, smoked gouda, brie and goat brie (never tried that last one before) from Aldi and I'll serve those for our Christmas Eve buffer but Greg and I will be the only ones partaking as the kids don't really care for cheese, I don't think.

    You've done a lot of cleaning! I should do this as well. Sigh.

    Love the Bingo lottery ticket, what a shame you didn't win but as you said at least you had fun playing. Some old guy (in his 80s) just won $5 million in one of the Florida lottery games this past week. After tax he'll get $3 million or so, I'll bet his heirs are super excited. I plan on getting scratch off tickets for our stockings too. I've been doing this for a few years but we've never won anything. It would be so much fun for me if one of the kids won! I think I'd get more of a kick if they won with a ticket I bought them than if I did.

    Have a great week, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so perceptive. We did not go to the Cheese Festival this year....the first time my brother didn't go since its inauguration. But he still went on the wine tour this Fall as he always does. It is held in the same county. Yes it is nice to still have a cheese factory close by. So many of them are shutting down it seems. I was going to pop in this afternoon; but after doing my major grocery shop, the weather looked like it was taking a turn so I came straight back home.
      Good for you to tackle some holiday baking. I picked up a very few ingredients to make a few things.

      Delete
  2. That snowflake is very cute! What a lovely gift to include in a card!

    Today, I am resting from yesterday's activities!

    Stay warm and be careful going out and about in that snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was quite mild actually. It got above zero and rained a bit. A lot of the snow disappeared. Now it is iffy whether or not we will have a White Christmas.

      Delete