Sunday, May 20, 2018

Another Grocery Shopping Trip

I probably should have gone out shopping yesterday, but it rained most of the day and I didn't feel like going out in the wet. I made a couple of cards instead. So this morning, when I had to use powdered creamer and hunt down a couple of loose packets of sweetener for my coffee, I knew I couldn't put it off even one more day. No one should allow their food supplies to get down this low.


 Dairy cost $51.76
Fresh produce cost $22.55 (4 large zucchini, celery, 2 cucumbers, mushrooms, 4-pack of sweet peppers, 2 sweet potatoes, and 10 avocados)




Frozen produce cost me $22.93 (Blueberries, 2 broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, squash, and spinach)
I didn't really need to buy ANY meat before the end of the month, but I found a few good prices.
I spent $26.72 on 3 pkgs. of chicken legs with backs attached (4 in each pkg), frozen  boneless, skinless chicken breasts, kielbassa, and two pkgs bacon.
I needed to get the sweetener, but this time I picked up 100 packets of Stevia where the packets are equal to two teaspoons of sugar. This cost the same as the other ($4.49) and is a much better value. I didn't need to get the coffee or the tea on this trip, but you have to buy them when they are on sale. These three items cost me $16.36   I also bought some antibiotic ointment and some toiletries for $14.78  I spent a total (with taxes) of $157.28

I drove to three different stores today. I went to Freshco first for the Stevia, chicken legs ($1.99/lb.) TataTea (216 bags at $4.99), and the fresh and frozen produce. I also bought a doz. large eggs for $2, but I knew I would pick up 2 more doz. at Shoppers. Next I went to Food Basics for Folgers coffee ($6.88), the frozen chicken breasts at $1.99/lb, bacon ($3.35), and turkey kielbassa for $4.49. I had to buy zucchini here because they didn't have any at Freshco. That is when I found 6 avocados for only $3.88, so I picked up another pkg. I bought 3 blocks of Black Diamond cheese for $4.44 each. I had checked the flyers before I left so I knew that Shopper's (my third stop) had butter on sale for only $2.99, cottage cheese for $2.49, and large eggs for $1.88 a dozen (limit of 2 dozen). I picked up another block of cheese because it was  Monteray Jack with jalapenos for only $4.49, and I picked up Maple Leaf bacon (usually really expensive) for only $3.99

My receipt for Shoppers showed I saved $16.22, and my receipt for Freshco showed savings of $22.18, but the sales slip at Food Basics does not indicate how much you get in savings from sales and discounts. I know I did very well though because everything I picked up was on sale. 

Today was a busy day for Facebook messenger. I have talked to my Dad and Dee, my son and his fiancee (who are staying there this weekend), my sister and my mom, and also my oldest son in Vancouver with my youngest granddaughter. We were expecting some rain this morning, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. Tomorrow is expected to be even better for the holiday. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You did very well with your grocery shopping, Susan. Lots of good deals and you are right - you have to buy things when they go on sale, even if you don't need them right away! They may not be on sale when you do need them, later. Glad, too, that you got to speak with family members. Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually a nice quiet weekend. Besides talking to some family members, I had a couple of visitors stop by.

    ReplyDelete