Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Springtime Gardening

Monday night I fell into bed and was asleep before my head hit the pillow. After I wrote my Monday Daybook, I went outside to pull weeds from the long winding garden bed that goes back to the end of the yard. I pulled couch grass, dandelions and a tall flowering weed that I don't know the name of, but it was trying to choke out everything in its path. I needed to get it pulled up before it went to seed. For the rest of the summer I will have to check out that bed occasionally and keep pulling them out by the roots every time I find one. I would love to put down some mulch but it would cost too much, so I will continue to put down my shredded paper as mulch. (I have been collecting it all winter). I spent 3 or 3 1/2 hours outside pulling weeds and my muscles were very sore by the end of it.
 Bleeding hearts are really doing well in the side garden.
 My front garden bed.  The golden alyssum is blooming since the week-end and the forget-me-nots are spilling over the border.
These pink tulips showed up in the back garden bed that I weeded on Monday. I didn't plant them, so I am guessing the squirrels have been busily planting  for me.

I face timed my sister and mother before making dinner of pork chops and roasted vegetables.

Yesterday it rained almost the whole day. It would have been the perfect day to do some housework indoors, but I decided instead  to read and answer some emails and make out a card for my DIL in Vancouver. I got it in the post just in time for mail pickup. I cleaned off my kitchen counters and washed them down before having leftover pork chops and veggies for supper.

Today was another beautiful sunny day. I hung out a load of laundry before I decided to get my lab work done this morning.  I drove to First Choice Hair Cutters on the way home to have my hair trimmed ($22 with tip). Once home, I changed into some work clothes and went outside to cut the front and back lawns. I also weeded some more garden beds in the back yard. I made up a gallon of salted vinegar and applied some to my brick walkway but didn't finish because I got talking with my next door neighbour. I came inside to make up some more weed killer when my friend arrived for a visit. (He has recently been told his cancer is in remission, but his energy has not yet returned.) He told me he would still like to buy Rick's van but money is very tight right now because he hasn't been able to return to work. We talked about the possibility of him doing some work around the house in exchange for the van and some of the tools in the shed. I would buy the materials and he could pick the days when he felt up to working a few hours. I think we could both benefit. Hopefully we can come to an arrangement that will make us both happy, as long as it doesn't interfere with his recuperation.

I have broken down some corrugated cardboard boxes and tied them up into bundles for paper recycling tomorrow. I have also set out two recycle boxes of  thin cardboard and newspaper. I still have to walk over to the Pop In Convenience store to pick up my garbage tags. Still have not done that. Then I can stop for the day. Supper is a veggie stir fry with chicken thighs baked with Nathalie's 10 Things Farm Chicken Seasoning. Love that stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, you have gardener squirrels! How lovely of them to plant tulips for you! Such pretty tulips, too! LOL! You need to tell Nathalie about those squirrels! Maybe she can persuade her garden squirrels to plant some bulbs and seeds for her, too! I, on the other hand, have garden cats who dig up the planted areas, unless I block them off, somehow. No squirrels. I hope you can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement with your friend. But, be warned that, going by my experience, at least, the energy seems to take its own sweet time to return. How is your DIL doing? Please tell her that I am keeping her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is nice to have the extra help from my gardening squirrels. Other times we have a different outlook on creative expression. For instance, I planted pink and purple tulips on the other side of the yard, but obviously it wasn't aesthetically appealing to the squirrels. They have decided to move them to the new location. Just this once, I will let them have this small victory.

    I do not want to place any physical hardships on my friend. I know he is still feeling very weak, so definitely he will be the one who decides when and for how long he will work here. There is no rush to get things done. I think I have decided NOT to call in real estate agents until early next Spring. That will give me lots of time to do what I must to downsize and get ready for the move.

    My DIL is struggling with her treatments. She feels whipped and beat up by the weekends. I have increased the number of cards I am sending out to her and I will ask my son this weekend what gift cards I can mail out to help. Thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does she have someone to help her with housework? I remember crying because I couldn't get the housework done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my son does housecleaning, in the real sense of the word. And she has her mother and all of her friends living nearby. I am hoping they are all pitching in.

    ReplyDelete