Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Daybook: Tuesday, May 22/18

Of course I intended to write a daybook yesterday on our Victoria Day Monday, but as usual I got side-tracked when I picked a project to start and it took me much longer to finish it than I expected.

Outside my window.....it is presently drizzling rain. It is a gray overcast morning in sharp contrast with yesterday's gorgeous weather.

I am thinking.....that I may as well continue working on a scrapbook I started yesterday. When MOST people were enjoying the beautiful weather outdoors yesterday, I picked that day to mat photographs for a Memory Book I am working on.

I am thankful for.....being able to work on my hobbies when the feeling arises.

From the kitchen.....there is little going on. I ate simple meals of roasted chicken with vegetables over the weekend.

I am wearing.....my working wardrobe of capris (red) and t-shirt (stained), because I don't need to impress anyone.

I am creating.....more encouragement cards.

I am going.....nowhere today.

I am hoping.....to sleep better this week. I am not one who has trouble with insomnia, but this past week I have been waking around 4 AM and finding it difficult to go back to sleep (until about 6:30 or 7, when I should be waking up).

I am hearing.....traffic noise, since I live on the main road running through town. If my computer was at the back of the house, I would hear song birds.

Around the house.....it is demoralizing and depressing with all the boxes of stuff piled up waiting to go outside in the drive for a yard sale. But I can't do that until I get my husband's van out of there. I'm working on that.

One of my favourite things.....are still my Spring gardens. There is something new all the time.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include a couple of doctor's appointments. My friend, who wants Rick's van, needs to take measurements for a few projects and let me know what materials to buy. I will be helping him in constructing a new set of stairs for the front door and a small deck out back so I can have access to my patio doors again. These are safety concerns that need to be addressed before I will consider selling the property. I also need to rent a dumpster to clear out the yard of old used lumber (and the old deck that was torn down last summer).  All of this costs money and requires more helping hands.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....


 The tall purple spheres, growing beyond the golden alyssum, are allium. Daffodils and crocuses alongside the house are all finished.
Dwarf purple irises are being choked out by snow-in-summer, which I am constantly thinning out of my bed. Behind you can see my dilapidated front step that needs replacing.  Perennial sweet pea will start climbing up the trellis soon. 



2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your Tuesday Daybook. Spending the day indoors, scrapbooking, when it is drizzly and grey outside, sounds just perfect, to me. Thank you for sharing pictures of your garden - the plants look like they are thriving! I like that flagstone path shown in the first picture. I should do something like that in my front garden. The snow-in-summer seems to want to take over the garden! I wonder if it will grow in my garden - I could do with more plants that want to take over the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My day did not go as planned. My friend came over to take measurements of the front stoop and back deck which has to be 12 feet by 12 feet (but still less than half the size it used to be) We were out there for at least an hour, in the rain. I was thoroughly soaked through and chilled. We looked at different areas of the house that need attention, and although I cannot spend any money on this house, there are some things that I am sure will have to be fixed. I will work on those two things I have already discussed because I am sure they will be liability issues; but I am thinking I should call in a realtor before I put any more money into it. I called to find the price of bringing in a dumpster to rid the yard of stuff, but because I need a minimum of two metric tonnes and I am paying by the day, that will not be a priority until later in the season. I also called Hydro to have their forestry people come in to look at the tree in the backyard. I told them there is a danger of the tree interfering with power lines. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will take the tree for me. That job would cost me $1000 or better. It could also be a liability issue. Tomorrow I will head into town to price out the lumber and hardware to rebuild the deck and front stoop. Hopefully, my husband's van will go this week and then I will be able to have my FIRST yard sale.

      Delete