Friday, May 25, 2018

Exciting Times

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me once again. The day started out with me worried about those two poor little raccoon babies that I noticed the night before peering at me from behind the hardware cloth barricade. I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't want the raccoons in my attic, but I never intended to split up the family either, or have baby raccoons die for lack of food or water.  My son and his fiancee came over to visit first thing in the morning and brought some laundry to do with them. After the first load was put in, I took the battery for my riding lawn mower off the charger and hooked it back up in the mower. I found the key but I could not get the mower started, so then I knew it wasn't the battery. My son was the one who noticed that all the spare keys turned in the ignition, so we have surmised that it is the starter that is kaput. I paid quite a bit of money to have the mower fully serviced and tuned up last summer and then did not use it at all. But it looks as though I will have to get it back to the mechanic to have the starter replaced and get it running again. Lots of people have offered to teach me how to use the mower this summer, so I guess it will be worth the expense to have it done. If I do sell the house this summer, I should be able to sell the mower for a decent price. My son was able to pump up the rear tires on the mower for me.

We discussed the raccoon problem briefly and decided that I really needed to get professionals to come in, regardless of the cost, to round up the babies. Then as my son and his fiancee were leaving, I mentioned that I had an itchy spot on my back but couldn't reach it very well. My son's fiancee offered to have a look-see and as I fumbled around trying to show her the spot, I felt a mole where no mole should be. She had a look and exclaimed that it was a tic fully engorged  and ran off to find a pair of tweezers, a plastic sandwich bag and rubbing alcohol. She was able to remove it completely and gave me instructions to have it looked at by my family doctor. But by then it was time for me to leave for my long-awaited appointment at Kingston General Hospital for a colposcopy. It was my first time back to that hospital since Rick passed away and that in itself was stressful. I also didn't know where I was going because it was my first time in the women's health division of the hospital, and so I arrived a little bit late. I don't like being late for anything. More stress. When the receptionist asked if my next of kin was still my husband, I broke into tears. I wasn't expecting that the place where he spent the last month of his life and eventually passed away would not be fully aware of that piece of information. I recovered myself and settled in for a wait.

Long story short, I had a pap smear done about two months ago, and the results were negative, but my doctor "didn't like the look of things", and referred me to this clinic.  This doctor agreed and so a biopsy was done. Turns out that before my GP took on her own practice, she worked in this clinic. She was right to make a referral I guess, but I am not expecting any bad news. I find she is just very thorough and is an excellent doctor.

From there I made my way to my doctor's office where I did not have an appointment but I presented the receptionist with the tic now floating in alcohol in a plastic bag. My doctor happened by and told the receptionist to "fit me in". I got two scripts to fill out. She weighed and measured me. She examined the infection site on my back. She reported on my latest blood results. I am still losing weight and losing inches around my belly, so she is not concerned about my sugars creeping up....yet.  My thyroid is good. I don't have to go back until September, unless the biopsy results bring me back in. By the time I picked up my two prescriptions (one to prevent Lyme disease) I went home. It was too late to call an exterminator about the raccoons, so I placed some water and some cooked chicken and vegetables inside the access door of my attic. Keeping my fingers crossed that word doesn't get out about my accommodation being one of the best in town. *laugh*

Today, things are much better.  Last night my friend came by to pick up Rick's van, so it is no longer in the drive. When I mentioned my fears about the little raccoons left behind, he assured me they were already gone. He told me that when I saw them peering at me through the hardware cloth, mother had just been there. I probably scared her off again and she was hiding out waiting for me to go back inside. They were there he said because she was coaxing them to climb the wire to the 3 inch space over the top of the 2x4s. From there she would grab them by the scruff of the neck and carry them off. He was so self-assured in telling me this, he told me to check the bowls of food and water I left for them. He told me they would be untouched, and he was right. He said the babies wouldn't have been where I could see them unless their mother had called for them. So I was so terribly relieved, I cannot express how happy I am.

Have a lovely weekend, and to my American readers, enjoy a wonderful long Memorial Day weekend.

Today was my son's fiancee's birthday. Here is the pillowcase I embroidered for the occasion. I also gave her one of my handmade birthday cards, and since she has been making her own cards now, I gave her a packet of 15 stamps to use when she mails her cards out.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan! You've had quite a day!

    Well, at least the raccoon problem has been solved! I am grateful the babies seem to have left and you don't have the expense of getting someone to come out to get them taken out.

    That tick is worrying, but, at least your son's fiancée was able to get it off and you were able to be seen by the doctor without delay and now you have the medications and hopefully, that will be the end of that!

    I am sorry the visit to the hospital was so stressful, but, I am hoping the biopsy results come back clear and it was just an abundance of precaution and nothing at all to worry about.

    Hope the lawn mower can be repaired for not much cost and you'll get plenty of use of it over the summer. Or, maybe, it is time to think about getting someone to mow your lawn for you?

    The pillowcase you embroidered is very pretty! You do such lovely work! I am sure your son's fiancée was very happy with her birthday gift from you.

    I hope you have a peaceful, trouble free, worry free weekend! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is.....I don't have the extra money to hire someone else to do the lawn cutting, or weeding, or painting, or fixing. I have to prioritize what needs to be done by someone else, and what I am perfectly capable of doing myself. THAT is why I decided I will be selling this house and moving to an apartment. I am looking forward to the days that all I will NEED to do are my hobbies. Owning this house costs too much in money and effort and time. I can do with less excitement. Ha.

    ReplyDelete